Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange wind blast. FLHTP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 02:22 PM
patzx12
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Strange wind blast. FLHTP

17 Electra Glide FLHTP
I took off my lower fairings and i now get turbulence, interesting. When cruising at 80 there is a vertical vortex of air pushing up just in front of my knee. It's on both sides about the size of my hand.
if I hold my hand there it is pushing it up even if I move my leg away its still there. Its just in that area. strange alright do others get that with the batwing and no lowers?
​​Anyway I will be putting the lowers back on once I have colour matched them.

Old 04-23-2023, 02:28 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

OK.... I understand you have the stock lowers for that. I have a Street Glide and do not have the lowers. I had fangs which removed the air coming from under the batwing. But had a lot of heat from right side of engine....removed the cat and the fangs. The fangs redirected air from around the cylinders. So I installed tank wings from DK Customs that fit under the tank and direct air down towards the cylinders. And I installed a tank rise kit. This has helped keep the wind from blasting up under the fairing, and helps to cool engine. If you are going to be without your lowers, maybe check out the tank wings? Or maybe some temporary soft covers for the engine guards. Just a suggestion.....if you are painting your lowers and you'll get them back soon, then wait! The wind is a natural effect on our bikes!!

Old 04-23-2023, 02:30 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Seems to be a common thing , with or without the batwing . That is exactly what I was experiencing before I put the fangs on my bike , don't mind the wind , but that upward draft is somewhat irritating . I do however take them off when the temps are pretty high , cools things down quite a bit .

Sparty , I was thinking about putting the tank wings on my bike , instead of using the fangs , at least those will keep the engine temp down on hot days .

Last edited by MyFavRk; 04-23-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:56 PM
ahhlou
Road Captain
Received 630 Likes on 322 Posts

This problem is also present on my Road King. The only thing that reduces it so far is the ugly fangs and not by much but helps with long distance touring.

I don't have over heating problems but I do have the DK tank wings to direct some air onto the jugs. They don't help the vertical air blast...

Old 04-23-2023, 02:58 PM
patzx12
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

I will have to Google fangs.
I made up some tank lift brackets with 30mm and 50mm lift. I have them installed at the 30mm lift.
I also fitted the cool fan. The HD install is a bit of a faff, I didn't want to go for a dealer plug in to get it working so I wired it outside of the CANBUS and it runs off a toggle switch on the dash. I just switch it on in traffic.