Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Ultra Classic Electra Glide No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 01:07 PM
72-C10
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2001 Ultra Classic Electra Glide No Start

Hello- I have a 2001 Ultra Classic Electra Glide that I tried to start after it had been sitting for a year so. I charged the battery but got nothing when I hit the start button. Jumped the solenoid on the started and it tuned over. I thought it might be the security system so I changed the battery in the active FOB. Still would not start. I went to enter in the security PIN, but when I pressed on both turn signal buttons and held them nothing changed on the odometer, just keep showing the mileage. I then tested the turn signals but the indicators just stay steady orange, no flashing on the front or rear. I pulled the TSSM and I get 12v on the pins that come from the turn signal buttons. I’m thinking the TSSM is bad. I took it out and tapped it to see if maybe the lean sensor was stuck, but that did not seem to help. Is there anything else I should be testing? If I want to replace the TSSM with a non-security one does anyone know the model number I should be looking for/? The one in the bike is 68922-00.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Last edited by 72-C10; 02-19-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by 72-C10
Hello- I have a 2001 Ultra Classic Electra Glide that I tried to start after it had been sitting for a year so. I charged the battery but got nothing when I hit the start button. Jumped the solenoid on the started and it tuned over. I thought it might be the security system so I changed the battery in the active FOB. Still would not start. I went to enter in the security PIN, but when I pressed on both turn signal buttons and held them nothing changed on the odometer, just keep showing the mileage. I then tested the turn signals but the indicators just stay steady orange, no flashing on the front or rear. I pulled the TSSM and I get 12v on the pins that come from the turn signal buttons. I’m thinking the TSSM is bad. I took it out and tapped it to see if maybe the lean sensor was stuck, but that did not seem to help. Is there anything else I should be testing? If I want to replace the TSSM with a non-security one does anyone know the model number I should be looking for/? The one in the bike is 68922-00.

Thank for any help or insight.
I would get the battery tested before you start replacing things. Guessing can get expensive.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:24 PM
72-C10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I would get the battery tested before you start replacing things. Guessing can get expensive.
Tested with a new battery. The battery is not the issue.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Tested with a new battery. The battery is not the issue.
Ah. A detail you omitted.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:33 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,528 Likes on 4,074 Posts

Thanks for any help or insight.

Check the easy stuff first....

Have you tried disarming your security....?

The security on the 2001 domestic models IS NOT a passive system. it is active and needs you to operate the button on the FOB to both activate and deactivate the security. The international models are different.

For the active security TSSMs like yours:

To arm the security- Push & hold the button on the FOB until the lights flash once. If you have the optional siren attached, it will beep once.. your security is now armed.

To disarm the security- Push the FOB button twice. The lights will flash twice. If you have the optional siren attached it will chirp twice... your security is now disarmed.

FWIW:

You don't want to hear this, but.....

You have TSSM #68922-00. That is no longer available, it is obsolete. The most current number is #68922-00D. Unfortunately it too is obsolete, and unavailable from the MoCo.

The corresponding TSM (no security) is #68920-01D. Unfortunately that is also obsolete, and unavailable from the MoCo

Also, the international models, TSM #68920-01D and TSSM #68924-00D, are also obsolete and unavailable.

If you check out your TSSM, and it is in fact not working, you will need to take a chance on a used one off eBay.

Otherwise, you will need to find an aftermarket solution for your issue... I cannot help with an aftermarket solution, as I have not yet needed to replace the TSSM on my 2001 or 2003 bikes..

Good luck with your trouble shooting and repair...

Last edited by hattitude; 02-19-2024 at 02:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
mike131 (02-20-2024), xcbullet (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:37 PM
72-C10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Ah. A detail you omitted.
I just got the new battery 5 minutes ago and tested so that detail was not available when I put the post up.

Last edited by 72-C10; 02-19-2024 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Keithhu (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:43 PM
72-C10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
Check the easy stuff first....

Have you tried disarming your security....?

The security on the 2001 domestic models IS NOT a passive system. it is active and needs you to operate the button on the FOB to both activate and deactivate the security. The international models are different.

For the active security TSSMs like yours:

To arm the security- Push & hold the button on the FOB until the lights flash once. If you have the optional siren attached, it will beep once.. your security is now armed.

To disarm the security- Push the FOB button twice. The lights will flash twice. If you have the optional siren attached it will chirp twice... your security is now disarmed.

FWIW:

You don't want to hear this, but.....

You have TSSM #68922-00. That is no longer available, it is obsolete. The most current number is #68922-00D. Unfortunately it too is obsolete, and unavailable from the MoCo.

The corresponding TSM (no security) is #68920-01D. Unfortunately that is also obsolete, and unavailable from the MoCo

Also, the international models, TSM #68920-01D and TSSM #68924-00D, are also obsolete and unavailable.

If you check out your TSSM, and it is in fact not working, you will need to take a chance on a used one off eBay.

Otherwise, you will need to find an aftermarket solution for your issue... I cannot help with an aftermarket solution, as I have not yet needed to replace the TSSM on my 2001 or 2003 bikes..

Good luck with your trouble shooting and repair...

The FOB's do nothing when the button is pushed. With not being able to even bring up PIN option on the obomenter and the fact that the turn signals do not work is why I think the TSSM is bad. Yes, I'm aware that Harley has screwed customers that have older bikes with Zero options from them if this critical piece goes bad. I have been looking on Ebay for a decent one to try.

So a 68920-01d will work in my bike once I marry it to the ECU? You have same model listed for US and International. Is the 68920-01d the one for the US?

Last edited by 72-C10; 02-19-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:17 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,528 Likes on 4,074 Posts

The FOB's do nothing when the button is pushed. With not being able to even bring up PIN option on the obomenter and the fact that the turn signals do not work is why I think the TSSM is bad. Yes, I'm aware that Harley has screwed customers that have older bikes with Zero options from them if this critical piece goes bad. I have been looking on Ebay for a decent one to try.

So a 68920-01D will work in my bike once I marry it to the ECU? You have same model listed for US and International. Is the 68920-01d the one for the US?
That is my understanding.... It was the last superseded part number listed as a replacement for your year/model bike.

Per the online parts finder, the non-security TSM is the same module for international and domestic. The security module TSSM is different between the domestic and international... If I remember it correctly, the international module needs to have passive activation...

If you have EFI, you will need to marry a new TSSM module to your ECM. If you have a carb bike, you can swap TSM/TSSM modules at will.......
What I am not sure about is if you have a TSSM module married to your EFI ECM, can you pull it out and just add a TSM, or will it be constantly looking for the older, married TSSM...?

Here is a table showing the rules for marrying the TSSM/TSM/ECM to the early twin cams. This was out of either my 2001 Electronic Diagnostic Manual or my 2003 Electronic Diagnostic Manual. As I recall, they both have the same table.

Last edited by hattitude; 02-19-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:51 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,487 Posts

H I went to enter in the security PIN, but when I pressed on both turn signal buttons and held them nothing changed on the odometer, just keep showing the mileage.

ht.
Do you know for a fact you can change the PIN that way on your year? Have you done it before?

Old 02-19-2024, 08:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

So a 68920-01d will work in my bike once I marry it to the ECU? You have same model listed for US and International. Is the 68920-01d the one for the US?
Sincere question - how long should "they" continue to make a 23 year old electronic part? Harley doesn't have a chip foundry or do electronics design, these are designed and manufactured by suppliers. Since advancements in chip design happens very fast, they become obsolete very quickly. 3 years is eons in that industry, let alone 23 years.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ultra Classic Electra Glide No Start