Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT 08

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
ride05
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT 08

I have bought a SERT for my 05 ultra and have not fitted it yet still in the box. I am now considering updating to an 08 bike will the race tuner go on an 08 if I keep it and have not entered the vin no. The sert is new in sealed box and the bloke told me it would fit an FLHT from 02 to 07 and he thought if the 08's were not changed it would go on. Do I keep it for the 08 or will it not fit.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM
billydflnc
Cruiser
Default RE: SERT 08

Nope.....won't work. The '08's have a totally different "ecm" than later models... the new SERT is not even out yet.... but they're working on it!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
thatguy
Tourer

Billy... do u know this for a fact? I am in the same dilemma, I own a SERT that I bought for an 07, then ended up getting an 08. I was told it is still the same serial interface and all I need is the new 'K' CD, which is shipping at the end of September.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
billydflnc
Cruiser

I'm going to the dealer this week and I'll get confirmation from the source himself, I'll stop by there tommorow.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:42 PM
thatguy
Tourer

Thanks, one thing for sure, they wouldnt have a clue at my local dealer.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 AM
joenuclear
Advanced

08's have a larger throttle body. Which would mean the backing plate is different from the 07's.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
billydflnc
Cruiser

OKAY..... it's official.... NO it won't work.... "ecm" module is totally diferent ....... cables maybe the same but you downloads are different, memory addresses etc., etc., etc. !!!!!! They won't have the new ones out until late Sept.- early Oct. ...... I guess I'll be waiting along with the rest of ya'll !!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was told that just the software is different. That's the way it was in the past as well. If you already have the SERT you just have to buy the new CD when released, about $15.00.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

The '08 models use a DBW throttle control. There are no throttle cables from the right hand twist grip to the throttle butterfly. The upgrade modules for the previous years don't know anything about the DBW system on the '08's and that's why they won't work. Anyone wanting to upgrade the '08 ECU's will just have to wait for the industry to catch up.

Good luck,
Steve R.

PS: At least this applies to the Road Kinds, Street and Tour Glides, Electra Glides and Ultra Classics. According to Harleys web site, it doesn't appear that with applies to the rest of the line as the pictures still show throttle cables coming down off the right side handlebar. FWIW!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175

The '08 models use a DBW throttle control. There are no throttle cables from the right hand twist grip to the throttle butterfly. The upgrade modules for the previous years don't know anything about the DBW system on the '08's and that's why they won't work. Anyone wanting to upgrade the '08 ECU's will just have to wait for the industry to catch up.

Good luck,
Steve R.
The "SERT" is just an interface between the PC and ECM, it doesn't necessarily have to know anything about the ECM except how to read the ECM's id and write the fact that it has been programmed by a race tuner. Don't assume that the present SERT won't work with the new ECM. The new software that comes with the new SERT is the important factor and traditionally that has been available separately. It MAY be different for the '08s but it might be a waste of money to sell an unused SERT until we know that for sure.

Quick Reply: SERT 08