Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
vinmanaf
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic

Hello everyone. I amlooking for a bit of advise from you fine folks that ride touring bikes. Here is my drama: I am in the military stationed overseas and will be returning to the states in the spring. I sold my FXDX and thought I wanted a softail Deluxe until I sat on a few and it just felt wrong. I was never excited about the 96B motor but wanted to step up to something a bitlower and sleeker than the FXDX and a more laid back ride. I then research on this fine forum andit hit meto look at the RK's.After much ponderingI foundthe bike thatmakes my heart pound plus felt "right" while sitting on it. The RK Custom. Of course the MoCo dropped the bike from the lineup this year. So I go to the new car sales people on base and they can get me the last 07 they have in pearl white gold for $17,266 plus tax when I pick it up stateside. I put a deposit down on the 07 to make sure I don`t lose the opertunity to have the only year made 96 inch RK Custom ever built but I really wanted a black bike but there are no more available. My other option is to order an 08 Classic for exactly $100 more. On the upside, I will gain the windshield and extra lights in the front, cruise control and a 6 gal tank but the chrome on the fenders are not my thing. I know if I get the custom I will need to swap out the bars and would like to add a windshield for the longer trips. I like the customs low looks and the clean bags ( no buckles)over the clasic and the cleaner (read less chrome) look of the custom but the clasic is also a fine looking ride right out of the box. I also like the white walltires of the classic but could always get them next year when I need new tires. So, question is, go with the 07 Custom or 08 Classic. Also, any changes to the bike this year as far as the frame? I know the motor and trans are the same. I also fear the custom may be like the duece was as in parts will fit all RK's except the Custom situation. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks and ride safe!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: 07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic

If you are able to get an 08 for $100 more than an 07, I say jump on the 08. A year newer and, by all accounts, some nice improvements with the Brembo brakes, rear pulley shock absorber, six gallon tank, and super smooth throttle by wire. The 08 will have a better resale out the door of the dealer than an new 07 too.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

You'll love the Classic. The Custom is an awesome bike, but that Cruise Control is an amazing feature.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

08 if for no other reason HD has "fixed" a couple things.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are enough positive changes to the '08 models that I wouldn't give the '07 another thought.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Unintentional duplicate post deleted.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny, there isn't enough "change" to an '08 over an '07 that I wouldn't consider buying ANOTHER '07 in an instant if the dealer would sell it at a fair price ONLY because of the year old model date.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with an RKC because it came with everything I wanted from a highway bike.So, unlike my previous harleys, I didn't add anything but performance inhancing items.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM
bezoar
Tourer

I've heard this "talk" about the '07 being , shall we say, less than a good bike. I just got an 08 RK. Anyone care to elucidate on what I just missed by buying an 08? I intend to start no flames between 07 and 08 riders.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: vinmanaf

I foundthe bike thatmakes my heart pound plus felt "right" while sitting on it. The RK Custom.

I like the customs low looks and the clean bags ( no buckles)over the clasic and the cleaner (read less chrome) look of the custom
Bottom line they are both great bike the realdifferent lies in the owners preferences with that said I thinkyou already answered your own question.

The onething I would add to the 07 Custom is the IDS "Isolated Drive System"This is the most noticeable change to the 08 and HD make a kit to retro fit it on the 07. As far as parts not fitting the07 RK Custom I haven't had any problems. In fact I think you'll find more limitation with the 08 due to gas tank change, wheels etc, ECM, throttle by wire ect. For what its worth I bought my Custom after riding my brother-in-law's. Never was a baggertype but once I rode a Custom I new it was going to be my next bike and haven't regretted one second of it.

Last but not least you may never get another chance at a new RK Custom. DON"T MISS OUT ON THE BIKE YOU KNOW YOU WANT.

Quick Reply: 07 RK Custom vs 08 RK Classic