Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD headset CB microphone...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM
rhino49er
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD headset CB microphone...

I looked thru the old post but didn't see one quite like this. I have an 07 Ultra with the
HD headset/CB mic......sometimes mic works..most of the time doesn't.
1 trip worked for 7 hours then quit transmitting the last 20 minutes of the ride, I only use
PTT, and you can here it cut out in the headset, but nothing transmits. I can hear radio fine,
and my buddy when he tlks to me...just can't transmit out..Bike isn't a year old, so should the
dealer look at it...or am I on my own....my friend said I should try and replace the cord (19.95),
don't wanna (or shouldn't have to) invest in a new mike

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD headset CB microphone...

be done with it, and get some quality stuff. A set of J&Ms are the answer. Work and sound great.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Warranty, Warranty, Warranty! It's covered by the warranty.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
flharleycop
Cruiser

Mine has done that a few times, each time i have found that the cord between the helmet and the counsol has worked a little loose. not at the dash but just before the helmet.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
DanB
Tourer

I made the mistake of laying the helmet on the seat and the cord laid on the exhaust. Caught it quick enough, just saw some slight melt on the cord. Thought all was fine. But...seems I had problems with cutting out, and hearing right. My wife's worked fine. I thought it was the unit itself. Borrowed a friends cord, no problem. Both worked just fine.

I betcha it's the cord. Get a new one and then see what happens before you spend bigger bucks. The HD set up really works good most of the time.

DanB

Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Had a problem hearing my wife's mike in intercom mode for a long time. We decided at first it was her PTT switch. Replaced it, no difference. Then we thought we had isolated the problem with her cord because when she played with it, it would work for a while. Almost always did at high speeds. Replaced the cord. That wasn't it either. Replaced her headset, that wasn't it either.

Bought new Ultra, same old headsets. The one that came with the bike went into the cabinet. Same problem showed up within a week. THIS time, I put the new headset on my helmet and wouldn't you know it; it was my headset all along. Probably the mike itself keying (shorting) with the receiver and creating the static and blanking we experienced.

As long as it is under warranty, keep replacing the Harley headset, unless you just don't like them. Their mike is better than J&M's, so I have heard. The cords are solid and so is the wiring harness. It is the headset that goes bad. Likely movement of the boom mike in the wind and putting the helmet on and off. Just MHO.[8D]

Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser

I can't believe it,Goodbirds, That same thing happened to my CB setup. I finally took mine to dealer who took radio out of another bike swapped it out and it still squealed. They swithched it back and then tried a new headset om my helmet and that repaired it....Go figure....Bldr