Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUILDING A 103 "HELP ME MOTOR-HEADS"

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BUILDING A 103 "HELP ME MOTOR-HEADS"

I ambuilding a 103 this winter for my07 Road Glide, I don't want the 110 because I don't want to split the cases. I am looking for some advise from all you motor-heads out there on how to get the most hp&torque from a 103 based on success you have hadwith heads-pistons-cams-exhaust (I have bassanni's now, I'd like to keep thembut Iheard they are notthe best performance exhaust).. .Thanks I appreciate the help....

Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: BUILDING A 103 "HELP ME MOTOR-HEADS"

I'm surprised you don't have any hits on this topic yet. A lot of people on this forum have good reports from HQ. http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to do the 113" but more work and more parts were involved. IMHO the numbers HQ puts out are pretty dang good. And as I mentiond a lotof members on this forum have nothing but good things to say about them.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you go to this link you can get an idea of the different 95" and 103" packages offered by HQ:

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

There is a significant price differences in 95" and 103" kits available. One choice is the "mass produced" kits, HD's SE being an example. Big Bore cylinders, SE heads, pistons, etc. are mass produced So in their kits as long as the cylinders, heads, pistons, etc. are within the production spec (based on sampling production/not inspecting each item), boxes of cylinders, pistons etc. are pulled to make up the kit.

At HQ, the cylinders and pistons are custom fit, heads cc'dusing precision maching/measuring; boxes of heads, cylinders, pistons, etc. are not pulled from inventory and put in a bigger box to make up your package.

But you pay for that custom/precision workmanship.

Then there is the in-between mass production and custom buildwhich is street ported heads (porting that doesn't include removing the valve guides), boring cylinders, etc. The extent to which the parts are spec'd and custom assembled will vary from vendor to vendor.

Do your research, including talking to the vendors and their customers.

Also, raw hp/torque numbers can be misleading in a sense. Just check the peaky torque curves for the SE kits on the HD website to the long flat torque curves of HQ and other premium builders.

And chasing a hp/torque numbers may lead to apoor running bike that is a pinging monster.

Best bet is to identify what your goals are, ask a lot of questions of the vendors, and select a vendor who has a track record of delivering what you want--and then follow the vendor's recommendations.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I had Weisco do the boring and used their pistons for that precision fit. After 20,000 miles my bike never ever smokes nor does it use a drop of oil. A friend of mine using HD parts smokes a good bit until it warms up good then it is okay.
Gary

Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

I'm surprised you don't have any hits on this topic yet. A lot of people on this forum have good reports from HQ. http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to do the 113" but more work and more parts were involved. IMHO the numbers HQ puts out are pretty dang good. And as I mentiond a lotof members on this forum have nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks for the HQ site I like what I see. I like the 103 sport touring package for more hp and torque, not sure about the 93 octane fuel though, I hate the pre-detention thing. Do you know anyone who has used that set-up? Thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are alot of people on this forum running the 103 kit on this forum. Do a serch and go from there.
I have not heard one bad complaint. My 95 kit is on order right now. Do yourself a favor and call HQ and tell them what you are looking for and ask questions. They are easy to deal with.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start your research on this forum and then by going to the various sites...HQ, GMR, Kury, T-Mann, Big Boyz, etc to get a feel for what is out there. Also talk to your HD dealer. Probably up front the HD builds are far and away the most popular due to being dealer installed and if done right some of the HD builds are just fine but a bit pricey and can be lacking compared to a custom builder such as the ones I have stated above. I have built HD builds and have had great success with them by paying real close attention to the details and by using Woods cams, they seem to mate up to the HD design better than others.

I am in the process of building an HQ 120" right now, have not run their parts before but have heard nothing but good about them on this forum so am ginving it a try. Also have heard nothing but good about GMR, and Kury (again -pricey).

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I am about the pull the trigger on a 103" kit from HQ... I like the stuff that GMR and HQ offer. I would never put a Harley SE kit on my bike.. The difference between the HQ Touring and Sport Touring packages is not that much in power and since I live in Kalifornia all I get for gas is 91 Octane.. I think I will be happy with the HQ 103" Touring package. It is 30% more power than I have now with a nice fat / flat torque curve. My buddies with their harley SE crap aren't going to know what hit them... Too bad you will hear the difference, I'd love to tell them all I did was retune my Thundermax on a dyno I guess I could still do that!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

ORIGINAL: Road Hawg

I ambuilding a 103 this winter for my07 Road Glide, I don't want the 110 because I don't want to split the cases.
I thought you could go up to 110 on a 96" without splitting the cases?[sm=confused06.gif]Yes? No?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

No, the 96-103 is the same as 88-95.
And, the 96-110 is the same as the 88-103.
Interesting.
...gene

Quick Reply: BUILDING A 103 "HELP ME MOTOR-HEADS"