Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter warm up

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM
deadhead63
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter warm up

With the temperature in the mornings hovering in the low 30s I am wondering if I should let my bike warm up longer before heading of on my morning commute. It is garaged but the garage is not heated. Can I damage the engine if I warm it up before heading out?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Winter warm up

HUM are you standing outside w/ the bike while it warming up? because that makes a differance to mein those temperatures.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM
rickxx
Tourer

"can you damage the engine if you let it warm up before heading out?" are you heading out today? if so, you should be alright.

seriously, let it warm up a reasonable amout of time. moderation in all things is good.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah excessive idiling is no good. It carbons everything up. Start it, enjoy the soundfor 1-2 minutes and roll out!!! Just start off slow until it warms up.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM
deadhead63
Novice

That should have been "Can I damage the engine if I don't let it warm up before heading out"

Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok good, I'm with ya now well I say this, There may be many reasons to warm up the engine one big reason comes to mine. You see the engine is cold very cold, and the oil in the engine is cold very cold, now after starting theengine itincreases in temp. the oil warms and starts to flow much easier through out which inturn goes to places that is much needed for proper lube. So a good measuring stick is before riding your steed into the blistering comute put a hand on the head of the engine if very warm to the touch border lining hot your good, "head out".

Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In colder weather I fire up the motor, let it idle for about one minute while I get my gloves on and close the garage door and then slooooow and easy I coast down the road for the first couple miles - no load on the motor at all, just the minimum to keep it moving down the road. This gives the motor a chance to warm up and yet i'm not putting any stress/load on it IE: I'm not hopping right onto a freeway ramp and gunning it up to 75, or climbing a big steep incline type of roadway where I have to put a load on the motor right away aftera cold-start. If you live in a place where you can't avoid loading the motor (you live in the bottom of a deep valley or your house is right next to the freeway on-ramp, lol) then maybe let it idle an extra minute or two before you take off.

IMHO you don't have to let it idle for several minutes or til it's at operating temperature. Slow and easy for a few minutes is all you have to do - let the parts warm up and bathe in oil for a bit before you get on it...

Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

1 or 2 minutes and roll it out !

Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

A lot depends on what oil you are running. Multiviscosity oils help and keeps you from needing nearly as much warm up as in the old days. Once the oil is moving around the engine, you should be able to head out as long as you aren't getting on it, if you are using the correct oil for your temperature range.30 seconds to a minute is enough before you head out.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

when its cold by me I'll let the bike run for 4-5 minutes, then turn her off while I get dressed. this I feel lets the heat spread thruout the motor and lets everything start its expansion thing so it dont devolope gasket leaks.been workin on my bikes for over 35 years so I wont be changing my routine.

Quick Reply: Winter warm up