Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Electical Crimp Tools

Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Curlee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electical Crimp Tools

[sm=outcold.gif][sm=outcold.gif][sm=outcold.gif][sm=outcold.gif][sm=outcold.gif]

Anybody know where to purchase an Amp, Deutsch,or Packard Crimp Tools, at a price thats affordable to The Do-It You Self'er?
The ones I find on the internet cost a couple hundred each. There has to be a cheaper alternative out there some place.
Anyone have any tricks or ideas? I'm doing some mods and want to plug intooriginal wire harness. I was looking at the MSD
Ignition pro Crimp Tool. Has anyone used this tool?

[IMG]local://upfiles/46270/FF06C4B4AACC4ED1B3383CA06A088DEE.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you know of someone who is selling them used like on e-bay, your almost stuck with buying the real mackoy.

They are expensive for a reason, they put a measured amount of crimping force onto the terminal end and the wire to keep from distroying it bysmashing the contactand or cutting the wire strands and allowing the contact terminal to vibrate loose under rough conditions. [:@]

Going with an inferior or less expensive crimper is not always a good thing in the long run.

If you only have a few crimps bring your wire and contacts to the dealership and see if they can attach the contacts with their tools.

If your rewiring an entire bike, or doing work to manufactor something then to me its obvious, buy the new tool. If you ever get finished or tired of it then PM me and I'll consider buying it from you.

You can always solder the contacts with out ruining them with some crimper thats not made for them!

Sorry I don't have a used one forsale.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea.....you can buy the tools you need and then just sell them on ebay or right hereto another member.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

I got mine from Imperial supply out of Green Bay wisconson. I believe Kent-Moore also sells them. I am a mechanic by trade and those are the placesI get them from.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Rev00
Tourer

For some amp & packard connectors I used some crimpers from Waytek wire. I also get my connectors from them. These will do the insulated ferrule crimp at the same time.

http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...E74012+M37+ENG

For my other style amp, and duetsch I use some $25 crimpers from Jameco.com although they are not considered for high production but they crimp just fine. I used these for years for personal use and never had any issues. I'll get the part number later today for you.

We have a side business building custom wiring harnesses and having the correct crimpers is a must, even though they make you cry when you pay for them.

For a few connectors here and there, it's crazy to spend that kind of money. Crimp, solder, then heat shrink.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Unless you have a large number of connections soldering is simple and effective. A little time consuming but it isn't hard to get a solid connection that won't ever loosen up.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Rev,

That link doesn't work, could you provide the part number of the crimper at Waytech?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I would highly recommend Philmore WS26 from Fry's Electronics, 7.99 list. It's available from other website vendors.

I used this crimping tool on approximately 100 Amp and Deutsch connectors in the course of wiring stereo headunits for two police model EG's and it has done an excellent job. It provides an excellent crimp which requires only modest "dressing" to correct a slightly flatter initial crimp--just keep the tool's crimp from the barrel on socket terminals, and the base of the pin contacts and you will be very pleased.

EDIT: The specific crimps were primarily for the sockets used in the 23-place AMP connector that is the Base Audio Connector on Electra Glides and Ultra Connector for the CB, 12-place sockets and pins for the Deutsch connectors used on '06 and earlier Electra Glide handlebar to interconnect harnesses.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

For Deutsch connectors, Ladd Industries are the only importer. everything goes through them. SItE: http://www.laddinc.com/home.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RE: Electical Crimp Tools