Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 2008 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Commander 2008 Touring

I ordered a PCIII for an 08 FLHX from FuelMoto yesterday and it arrived this morning. My setup is V&H Ovals with SE A/C.

I ran into big problems from the get go as my bike has ABS and that system is mounted under the right cover and that's where the instructions read to mount the PCIII and to re-route the ECU factory plug there. I called FuelMoto and they said they were waiting on an email from Dynojet. I called Dynojet and they sent the new instructions for an 08 with ABS. This is where the huge problems came into play.

They want us to loosen the positive cable from the battery and rotate it 90 degrees, that was a piece of cake. Then they want us to position the PCIII connector in front of the battery. Sounds simple enough but there is no way for it to fit there on my bike as in front of the battery is the factory wiring harness and it's entirely in the way. I had to take a broom stick and wedge it in between the battery and loop of wires and then gently reshape the harness enough to get the connector in there. It was still too tight and I was not comfortable enough to bend the factory harness wires anymore than I had already done. I had to FORCE the PCIII connector in and even then it was still too high. Even in Dynojet's instructions they show the connector as being too high. Then they want us to reinstall the ECU tray and that is an even bigger problem as it will not lay flat as the PCIII connector is too high and too wide. I ended up cutting the ECU tray to get it to fit flat. Not a huge deal but something I should not have to do.

All in all it was a total pain the ****. What should have taken about 45 minutes ended up taking about two hours and it's risky business bending and reshaping the wiring harness!

Good news: The bike runs like a rabid rabbit!! I'm extremly happy with the Rev Xtend and the throttle response. Other than the install problem, it was money well spent! The speed of my bike in third, forth and fifth gear is absolutely amazing, it's like a rocket. I do have a lot of blow back on deceleration between 3200 and 1800 rpm's and I'm waiting on an email from FuelMoto to hopefully correct this.
[/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Commander 2008 Touring

Good info and good to know. This was a great post... unlike mine today. I have had nothing important to say today.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering how much this set you back, I am waiting until the end of the month to order.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you created a work around but it really sounds like they shouldn't have released it for ABS models. I don't like the idea of throwing all those "bike brains" around and prying the wire bundle etc. Oh well, thanks for being the guinea pig.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 08KING

Just wondering how much this set you back, I am waiting until the end of the month to order.
I overnighted and I think regular shipping was $13.00?

My cost: $279.00 + $38.00 shipping = $317.00
[/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

I'm glad you created a work around but it really sounds like they shouldn't have released it for ABS models. I don't like the idea of throwing all those "bike brains" around and prying the wire bundle etc. Oh well, thanks for being the guinea pig.

Ride well,

Jim
There is a spot that might work on the right side of the battery but I was so frustrated [sm=bangbang.gif] with the entire mess, I got creative. Besides, I'm a contractor, figuring out crap is part of my job. [sm=smiley14.gif]
[/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

This concerns me. I have ABS on my bike, and was seriously considering this package. And the decel popping is a big turn off! Keep us informed as to the progress.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JonnyD

This concerns me. I have ABS on my bike, and was seriously considering this package. And the decel popping is a big turn off! Keep us informed as to the progress.
The first thing I'm going to do is get rid of these V&H Ovals, they are too LOUD!!!, but damn purdy. Maybe Rush and most likey SE Touring. I'm sure I'll have an answer by tomorrow on the popping.
[/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem on my Softail with the V&H Fuel pak and they couldn't help me. Vance and hines has a sh!++Y tech support! Called them, they were very vague and uninterested and then called back and left many messages with no call back. I'm sure with all I've heard about Jamie @ Fuel Moto he will back his product as best he can. Just my $.02. I am goingt to do a lot of checking with the 08's on here and see what is working best, before i spend a ton of do-re-mi on this. Good luck and keep in touch.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 2008 Touring