Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GPS Mounting

I had a member on this forum make one
gilbos440rt , I have the magellan

Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: oiler47712

i just picked up one of these:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3886

haven't put it on yet, but plan on using for my sirius.

do what geoff says about hitting up radio shack to plug into the aux. port.
I have a question for you: Does the door have a hole to run a cable through? IOW, if I mounted my powered cradle to it, is there a place to run the wires other than in full view around the mount and on top the tank? If so, I might bite--but I want to hear your take on it first after you mount it on the bike.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
ms3300
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds silly, but it works for me. I bought a Garmin 330. It came with a round metal plate, with double sided sticky tape on the bottm, designed to be mounted on the dash board of a vehicle. I had one of those handlebar mounted mug holders that I had purchased earlier but didn't like. Looking at the metal plate that came with the GPS, I thought it would mount on the ring to the cup holder. tried it and it was a perfect fit. I now have a GPS mount. When not using the GPS all iI have to do is life the ring out of it's mounting bracket that is secured to my handlebar, very little to see if I don't have theGPS on it. It works great for me, plus it is real close to the cigarette lighter so running power is no problem either.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
oiler47712
6th Gear

the gas tank mount does not have a hole to run the cables through, so they'll be in full view. this is not a big deal to me since the mount is so close to the fairing. i don't want to go through the process of hard-wiring my radio into the electrical system. the mount is actually a replacement cover for your stock cover. i went this direction because i didn't want to have my radio hanging from my bars.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM
bob_kikkert
Tourer

The 08 Ultra manual says not to use the cigarette lighter for any accessories.....any comments on that with respect to a GPS?

Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Powerlet makes a Mount/Power Bar all in one.

Works well and is Made in USA.

Easy to install, well built, and a quality solution

Old 04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

If you are handy at making things, take a look at the one I posted about 3/4 weeks ago. About $20 worth of parts to make. Dan

Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just used the suctrion cup mount in the corner of the windshield , works fine.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tom Tom Rider which comes with the TT bar mount and a RAM mount. I ran the power lead under the fuel console and power it off the aux plug under the seat.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
djw
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: gman

I used the mount from cyclegadgets.com. You can hook the voice to the aux port of the radio, but that is all you will hear (no radio, etc.) Or you can get a small earphone (like what the cops use) that fits into your ear, and use the accessory cord from HD used for the radar detector. I got it, but the voice was too distracting, so just use the visual prompts from the GPS with no problems.

I hard wired the GPS to the back of the cigarette lighter (under the fairing). works like a dream.

My Zumo mount is pretty much the same as this, a ram ball and short arm to a ball plate on the back of the cradle. Power goes to the cig lighter mounted on the left side under the seat (RKC). Works fine even with some pretty decent vibs at idle.

I have to move the unit from one bike to another or carfrom time to time and this makes the swap easy. Also replaced the Zumo security screw with an aftermarket thumbscrew so the gps is easy to pull from the cradle without tools.

Relatively cheap, semi permanent, easy to move.

Quick Reply: GPS Mounting