Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Mounting

I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 and need to find a way to mount it to an Ultra Classic. Also, how do you get power-just plug into the cigarette lighter in the fairing? Also, is there a way to get the voice/sound to play through the factory headsets?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Default RE: GPS Mounting

as far as mouting the unit the best thing to use is the devices made by Ram Mounting Systems. http://www.rammount.com/
Power, that's pretty much up to you. if you want it hard wired then it'll take a little more effort, otherwise just plug it into the fairing cig-lighter plug.

Not sure about the audio, so I'll leave that to someone that knows better.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
swalter10
Intermediate

This is the method I followed. Answers all your questions.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=57448

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehueg

I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2620 and need to find a way to mount it to an Ultra Classic. Also, how do you get power-just plug into the cigarette lighter in the fairing? Also, is there a way to get the voice/sound to play through the factory headsets?
I have the Quest and connected it to the hot side (Orange/Red wire) of the ACC switch under the fairing insert. That wire feeds 12V anytime the ignition is on, regardless of the ACC switch position. I assume you already have a powered cradle for the 2620, and you connect to the bike's power with the wires on it, red for 12V, black for ground. With the powered cradle you can remove the unit at will without disconnecting any wires. If you don't have a powered cradle you'll need to find a cig lighter connector that'll work with it, and Garmin may make one. The powered cradle will cost more but is much more convenient, IMO. Attached is a wiring diagram to connect to the ACC switch. Note that the solid orange wire on the ACC switch is switched, and won't be hot unless the switch is on, so you likely wouldn't want to use that as your 12V source.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4327/2A047A5E570E48D1940A3956518331D4.jpg[/IMG]

As for wiring for sound, the cradle for my GPS has an audio connector (female mini plug), so I assume you'd plug your headset into it. I can't help with wiring to a factory headset beyond connecting into the AUX input on the front of the stereo, if you have one. For that, just plug it in and it will pipe the GPS audio through the speakers and/or headset, but only if the stereo is set to AUX. If that's the way yours works then to me that wouldn't be a viable method, as you'd have to set it to AUX at all times, meaning no tunes while listening to instructions from the GPS. I don't know of a way to have both at the same time.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 387 Posts

I have a Garmin GPS and Ram Mount. I use thecigarette lighterfor 12V power. If a GPS has a headphone jack, Radio Shack offers a male-to-male cord that will connect to the radio's Aux input, allowing you to hear the GPS through the fairing or helmet speakers.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
oiler47712
6th Gear

i just picked up one of these:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3886

haven't put it on yet, but plan on using for my sirius.

do what geoff says about hitting up radio shack to plug into the aux. port.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the mount from cyclegadgets.com. You can hook the voice to the aux port of the radio, but that is all you will hear (no radio, etc.) Or you can get a small earphone (like what the cops use) that fits into your ear, and use the accessory cord from HD used for the radar detector. I got it, but the voice was too distracting, so just use the visual prompts from the GPS with no problems.

I hard wired the GPS to the back of the cigarette lighter (under the fairing). works like a dream.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
harleybodei
Road Master

Has anyone tried the set-up that replaces your gas cap cover with one that has the mount on it?
I just saw one and I am not sure who makes it.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'm having trouble with is to buy the Garmin Zumo or another Tom Tom and use aaftermarket mounting plate?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

ORIGINAL: oiler47712

i just picked up one of these...
I'd be interested in your opinion of this mount when you get it installed. Could you post a review when complete?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: GPS Mounting