Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers vs ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ape Hangers vs ????

OK, so maybe I missed something over the years but here goes.
I've had drag bars, buckhorns, beach bars, and various stock whatevers but now I want/need to change the bars on my RKCustom.
I see a number of you have ape hangers of various sizes, etc.
My question is what are the ergonomic and handling issues when using an ape vs whatever? It would seem to me that the higher the bar the harder the handling would be at slower speeds. Are there any other issues to consider. I need to raise the height and increase the pull-back on my bars but handling is a primary issue. I've got a really bad shoulder/arm and my back has seen better days so I have physical limitations. Any and all input is appreciated.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:30 PM
roadroids
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ape Hangers vs ????

I put on a pair of mini apes (8.5inch rise) and tilted them back a hair. Naturally depends on the lenght of your arms and height. I love them, but you are right. On these bars their width added some extra leverage. Took a few rides but now I love them and prefer them to the stock RK bars - by far! Wrists are flat and i can maintain a good upright posture. If you install them be sure to tweak 'em to fit your reach and to maintain your posture before you button up the nacelle - I have a Corbin with a back rest and my back is very happy with the lower back support.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:21 PM
HDStreetGlide07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant go wrong with apes, i had 12.5s on my old roadking classic and rode 4000 miles in 7 days last year, handling wasnt a problem and
they were very comfortable.
Chris

Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you install apes slow speed turns are different, but you will have it mastered after about the third turn. They are one of my best mods on my bike.