Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
I had problems right out of the box
36.00%
The issue(s) started after changing the exhaust
8.00%
The issue(s) started after changing the air filter
2.67%
the issue(s) started after doing other mods
4.00%
I'm not sure when the issue(s) started
2.67%
I have had NO issues before or after doing mods
46.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Issues with '06 Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Detour
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with '06 Models

There have been so many posts regarding issues such as popping on decel, lean running, etc. with the '06 touring bikes that I thought it would be interesting to see if they are occuring before or after doing mods, or both. I thought this might be some helpful information to those who are considering a new touring model...

Old 01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Issues with '06 Models

Kurt,

This will be a good thread and I will be following it closely. I don't have an 06 but have been dealing with my hd dealer on this problem. I'm not sure how the vote is going to go but I know from experience that most of the stock bikes run OK (not great) out of the box. Like I said in a previous thread, probably 90% of all buyers have the stage 1 air cleaner and pipes installed before they even pick up the bike. Now considering all of us here compared to all those poor hd owners that don't belong to this forum, how many hd downloads attached to poor running harleys do you think there are out there? Even before the 06's you knew in advance that you had to spend the $150.00 for the download if you did the upgrades. It's just that the $150 download doesn't work compared to the $459.00 SERT that does.

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Detour
Road Captain

Terry, as you know I have a new '06 bike so I thought it would be interesting. I haven't had the chance to ride it much due to the weather here in MN, and I've also done some major mods to my bike. I just want to get some honest feedback on the issues. I figure it may help me and others down the road. Any feedback from our members is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

Kurt

Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Kurt, the only reason I did pipes and air was because the bike was to lean and getting hot right out of the box otherwise I would have been content with stock!

Old 01-22-2006, 08:38 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I recently posted a thread about the problem I was having and what HD is doing to fix it. To fix this issue HD is installing the CVO injectors, and reprogramming the ECM. The biggest issue HD is going to have with the EPA breathing down their neck is the bike spitting, and popping as well as stalling. Most people know that lean tuning causes engine intake spit and overheated motors. A huge problem for HD because their engines are air cooled. I think HD will make this right. They were put in the vise by the EPA. I want to give them a chance to work out this problem.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:31 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Hey guys... I am bone stock right now with just over 500 miles, and the bike runs fine. I am interested in hearing what folks have to say because the service department at my dealership is saying if I do a screaming eagle air cleaner and Rinehart True Duals, I can get away with a TFI. But yesterday while I was there, an 06 rolled in popping and snorting.. Wanted to eavesdrop on the convo back in service, but could not find the owner of the bike. I am very confused at this point. Love the bike stock other than it is a bit quiet, and I have a cd player issue. CD player issue I think will be resolved, but almost wish I had bought a carbureted model now. Much more straightforward. But since I did not, I am keeping my ears tuned to this forum, to see what others have come up with.

Thanks again for all the good advice, and enjoy your new rides!

Old 01-22-2006, 10:31 PM
hdman
Road Captain

Well, I sure am getting a good education on the o6 Tour motor issues. I am in heavy consideration of an 06 Glide. I see very few unhappy people with their 06 Tour bikes AFTER they have gone thru the TUNING HASSLE and a 1000 or so bucks.I started the Thread "H-D or BUYER... Who is Responsible" and their were some very good points given. I guess it all boils down to What do you want and what are you willing to Pay? I cannot tell the future, But it appears to me that "IF" H-D is at the end of their ROPE which it appears they are concerning AIR COOLED motors and they bring out the V-Twin water cooled in 07 or 08 as was a guess in my thread by one of the contributors...... THEN LOOK OUT 06 and older tour bikes....... The price has just gone out the roof. The V-Rods are a good indicators as how HD water coolers have been excepted. Then I for one do not want a NEW ERA BIKE the first year or two. Their always is a "GET THE BUGS OUT" time for all new MAJOR design changes in bikes. Just look at the 06 Dyna series......case in point. Well, enough for now and as always this all is just my take on this matter {IMHO}. hdman

Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

You need to add a check box for no mods / no problems.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
jscan
Stage IV

I am hearing with the Big Bore kit and the sert, there are no problems. But thats a major $ investment, right after you just spent about 20K just to drive it out of the show room. Just think...the 07's will be rolling in about August,...and the next chapter begins!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 AM
zenhog
1st Gear

I suggest you have an option to choose of "have no issues before or after mods".

Quick Reply: Issues with '06 Models