Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor headset sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:33 PM
flharleycop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor headset sound quality

I purchased a new helmet and got the high end JM headset so I would have great sound. I am hoping some of you can help as I guess my expectations were too high or my set is bad. The unit starts to break up and distort at half volume which isnt very loud at all when your cruising. I went back to where I bought it and they adjusted the speaker location thinking that would help. Unfortunately it did not. It sounds really tinny and there is little base. I was expecting is to sound like my ipod or jogging headset. How does your sound, I am hoping someone here as some ideas as sound is really a personal issue. I have asked several others of thier opinion on the helmet and they say no good and the Harley one sounds better.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JM headset poor sound

Take the headsets back an' have 'em replaced - mine run up as high as mah ears kin stand w/o distortion.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
flharleycop
Cruiser

Thanks, I will see if I can send it directly to JM as the shop is in Daytona and I cant get there often. Hopefully JM will look at it and help me. Thanks for the information I needed a comparison.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 389 Posts

I have HD speakers in my two helmets. They sound okay, but the bass response sucks, especially in the open face lid.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
singlepin
Cruiser

I have the HD sets and they sound pretty good. When you said they sound tinny; I wondered if you have adjusted the bass and treble levels. Just a thought.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On any of the headsets, you really got to make sure the tiny speakers are pointed right at your ears and not too far away. I have two helmets with the HD headsets, a 3/4 and a half helmet with curtains. I thought the difference in sound was because more wind was getting through on the half helmet until I played with where the speakers were in the pouches. Big difference when you got little speakers. I ended up putting a spacer on both helmets to align the speakers up with my ears and the sound is a lot better.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

JMJohn (J&M) is a sponsor here. Shoot him a pm if you don't get the service you deserve. He may be able to hook you up with an 800 number for replacements.

Terry

Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flharleycop

I purchased a new helmet and got the high end JM headset so I would have great sound. I am hoping some of you can help as I guess my expectations were too high or my set is bad. The unit starts to break up and distort at half volume which isnt very loud at all when your cruising. I went back to where I bought it and they adjusted the speaker location thinking that would help. Unfortunately it did not. It sounds really tinny and there is little base. I was expecting is to sound like my ipod or jogging headset. How does your sound, I am hoping someone here as some ideas as sound is really a personal issue. I have asked several others of thier opinion on the helmet and they say no good and the Harley one sounds better.
Get a hold of JOHN @ J&M (Owner) he's a active member here most of the time.. If anyone will make it right for ya... He Will... Call the shop 1-800-358-0881 or send John a E-Mail john@jmcorp.com

Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 463 Likes on 247 Posts

I had a problem with a set 4-5 years ago... sent them an email... I expected a form reply.... but instead John replied to me personally, and took care of me.
a) return the unit to where you bought it, and either they exchange the headset, or they can adjust the speakers so they are clearer.,
b)if the dealer doesn't help you THEN call John

For what it's worth the sound quality is never going to compete with your ear buds, or even a good set of home stereo headphones, but they do sound pretty good.... the only shortcoming for the J&M is there is no bass/trebble/balance control

Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
HOGinit
Cruiser

Some people have good luck with J&M I never did I found them to be of very poor quality and had to take tons of abuse from John and his staff to get them to make it right. I quit using J&M a few years ago and went to Air Rider and haven't had a problem since. Just my experience I know others have had good luck with them I didn't. I found Air Rider to be of superior quality and much better customer service. FWIW

Quick Reply: Poor headset sound quality