Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads & cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads & cam

i have a tc88 with sert,a/c, & d&d 2in1.....i am looking at doing a andrews 26......my question is ...would i be better off haveing my heads sent out ,,for porting & polishing with all new springs & valves...or just buy s set already set up...what are the pros & cons.....i am also trying to decide wether to replace the jugs also,,,or leave them alone,,,,thanks for the info..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced
Default RE: heads & cam

Check out this link http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/street_tc_engine.htm it might point you in the right direction. Look at the chart towards the bottom for 88/95 in power ratio.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Andrews 26's are your cam of choice, do NOT waste your money on heads. Those cams are designed to work best with stock flow and compression ratio. I have used them MANY times, both the stock & ported heads. The best results come from stock heads.

If porting is something you're set on, then look into a different set of cams.... like HQ-0034 or Woods TW6. There are many others, but those are both solid options. As a matter of fact, I would use the 0034's with both stock and/or ported heads.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

If the Andrews 26's are your cam of choice, do NOT waste your money on heads. Those cams are designed to work best with stock flow and compression ratio. I have used them MANY times, both the stock & ported heads. The best results come from stock heads.

If porting is something you're set on, then look into a different set of cams.... like HQ-0034 or Woods TW6. There are many others, but those are both solid options. As a matter of fact, I would use the 0034's with both stock and/or ported heads.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Steve

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

so phil if you went with hq34...in the beginning & you were not satisfied...you could do a head job & maybe get a ;ittle mor hp & tq....right now i am at 72 hp &71 tq,,,& looking for more...would like to have a better pull through the gear & some mor hp....

or what set up would you recomend ?...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that is absolutely correct.

I have installed 0034's is several 88's, under the same premis and the owners have just "rolled off into the sunset" and not come back for more ~ so far, at least.

You might give Harleypingman a shout, he has one of the strongest running 88's I have EVER seen and this is exactly what he has.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

Yes, that is absolutely correct.

I have installed 0034's is several 88's, under the same premis and the owners have just "rolled off into the sunset" and not come back for more ~ so far, at least.

You might give Harleypingman a shout, he has one of the strongest running 88's I have EVER seen and this is exactly what he has.

i will contact him....it sounds like the hq-0034g.....would be a good choice ......thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You have a PM in reply to your PM.

When I called HQ last year about cams I talked to Doug Coffey, the owner--didn't know squat about him or Head-Quarters. In the course of our conversation, he asked me what pipes I was using and I told him Rinehart TD's. He immediately replied that those "are terrible," and suggested I go with a good 2-into-1 pipe. I didn't change pipes; the cosmetics and sound trumped the performance improvement. He also said using the stock push rods was fine, and said the HD "B" lifters would be a good choice--no BS, no upselling.

I rode recently with Kevin (Pirateeye) and another friend with a 95/99 hp/tq 95" build and all of us took off at the same time from a traffic light on a limited access road. Well, Kevin just dissappeared--he was just gone on his 113; me and our other friend were at WOT and Kevin just left us--but, what surprised me was that the other friend's bike never passed me, never gained on me. I found out later that our friend then approached Kevin about getting a set of 34's for his bike and ordered them earlier this week.