Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Question about tires -- Ultra Classic

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: tphillips
So I was on the money, from what I had heard, about doing 2 rear tires to every one front replaced.

I'm not even sure Metzler makes an 85 series for the rear tires on our bikes (by the way, great color combo on yours -- great taste on your part as well...).
I do 2 rear tires to 1 front tire..............this fall I'll be due for front and rear tires. When I replace a rear tire, it's well worn and has no life left at all. One year it was pretty much a slick...........I killed it with a 2000 mile.

Metzler goes by standard sizing...........so what you want is a 140 rear tire for your bike, that is equal to the 85 size that HD uses.

Steve

Steve:

Thanks for the detailed information and response. Very helpful. I finally got back home and checked the tire. Sure enough, it is the 140 -- so I guess it is the proper fitment for the exchange between Dunlop and Metzler... Funny thing, though, it still looks narrower than the OEM. Oh well, from what others have posted, I'll run with it and see what kind of mileage I get. I'm thinking I get a bit of a better ride out of it (just did a 2-up ride last night, and I think that the little imperfections in the road were not as noticeable...). Then again, maybe I'm just overly analytical and hoping that my money was well-spent.

Again, thanks for the details. The Forum comes through again...

Tod