Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In a pickle.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Malac Frost
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a pickle.....need advice

Ok so here is what is going on. Lastnight my local dealer hosted a service shop seminar. This is where they opened up the entire service shop to everyone to come in and ask questions and get information about services and matenance. Overall I really enjoyed the evening. Well I started talking to the Dyno guys and asking about getting my SG in for a tuning session and put on the new SERT I have on order. Well they tell me they have not yet done one of the new ones because they have not been trained on it yet. So here is my problem, I just ordered my new python true duels and the new SERT. i planned on installing the pipes myself and then taking the bike and SERT to them for the tunning. Now thta I know they admittly dont know what they are doing with the new SERT. What do I do? I really want to get these parts done so I can start taking some of my long trips. If there was aonther shop around i would take it there but the nearest shop is probably around 350 miles away.
So I quess heres my choices, 1. wait to install until the shop is ready could be late summer. 2. Install pipes and just get the Stage 1 download and wait. 3. install pipes and try to take it to another shop in another state. 4.?????????
Well thank you all for listening to my problem and if anyone has advice I am open. Have a great day.

Malac

Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts
Default RE: In a pickle.....need advice

Try to find and independant with a dyno. You'll get better results from an indy than a stealership. If they are afraid to try it with out being trained on it, then I would question their ability as tuners.

I'm talking out of my behind here but I understand that the new SERT is just a software upgrade with some new features. The basic tuning settings aren't going to change. It's just a new software interface. I wouldn't expect that an experienced tunerwould havemuch of a problem understanding it.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get then new super race tuner, or whatever its called? If not what new thing are they talking about? If so you might be able to load a base map and get it "got enough" until you can get a qualified tuner. Another thought is that if you can make an appointment with the one 350 miles away it would be a good excuse for a road trip.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agrre with Windup...just load the stage 1 map your self and then look for another tuner.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain

if you're just doing true duals...also add a new air cleaner kit (I'd suggest the ness kit) and go with the vance and hines fuel pak....if not doing any other engine mods you don't need the SERT

Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the SERT and go with a PCIII.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never heard of a dealer not knowing how to tune with a Sert. They are dynoing mine at the 1000 mile service

Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Can the SERT, get a PCIII with a canned map, make plans for a reputable independent DYNOJET tuning center...

Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Did you get then new super race tuner, or whatever its called? If not what new thing are they talking about? If so you might be able to load a base map and get it "got enough" until you can get a qualified tuner. Another thought is that if you can make an appointment with the one 350 miles away it would be a good excuse for a road trip.
Any excuse is a good excuse for a road trip...............

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Some of you probably read my thread about getting my SG tuned. The dealer did the 103 build out of the crate, I bought it already built by THEIR choice.

I took it for the 1,000 service and dyno tune. Three days later the tech admitted to me that he had never done a tbw bike and he was having trouble and trying to get help from Harley.

The next day, the tuner called a friend of his with experience tuning bikes. He learned what he needed to learn and a few hours later had my bike tuned pretty good. I am happy with the tune. It is still running a bit rich when I open the throttle, but not bad overall.

If I had known he didn't know what he was doing, I wouldn't have let him tune it. But it did turn out well in the long run. I guess I got lucky. BTW, they put 150 miles on my bike doing the tune and test rides.

Dennis

Quick Reply: In a pickle.....need advice