Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gremlins ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Gremlins ?

Just looking for some general guidance on an issue. I just removed the fairing on the bike and installed two amplifiers. One for the front speakers and a second for the rears. Crimped all the wiring etc and working like a charm prior to reinstalling the outer.

I put the outer back on last night and when I was done, no radio at all. I figured something shorted so I checked the fuse and it is fine. Then I turned the ignition switch to the on position and nothing... usually the odometer will show up etc. Then I moved it over to the accessory position and it acted like it was in the "run" position. Odometer showed up like it would if it were in the "On or run" position etc.

When I put the outer back on, it was a job to get it on and I removed the head light bucket to be able to see the hooks but we still had a bit of a fight with it. I did not remove any other wires from the main harness etc.... just head light wires etc and prior to reinstalling it, everything was fine. Headlight goes on in the accessory position. The only thing I don't think I did was to re-wire tie the harnesses back together prior to installing the fairing and I am getting some funky things going on in there from that... pinched wires causing it? Funny thing today, turned it to the accessory position and the radio came on.... I was kind of thinking the harness came out of the back of the radio on me.

Ever had anything like this or any thoughts? Taking the outer this evening to have a look.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
ELCID
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gremlins ?

Badbagger,

When working with electronics, of any sorts, when a bare wire touches something it shouldn't, weird things happen. As a car tech, I recommend you go back to sq #1, re-exam everything you did. You might find the cut/shorted or otherwise bare wire. If it worked prior to your install, it should work upon compleation. Plus, you might have used the wrong "power" wire and not the correct "accessory" wire. Lots of luck.

ELCID