Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy stand adjustable?

Is it possible to adjust a jiffy stand (on my '08 RG specifically, though I guess they're all the same) so that it swings further forward and the bike is less precariously balanced? I get the feeling that the bike is going to slide forwards off the stand unless it's on a perfectly level or even back sloping parking spot.

The stand has a bolt head on top of the pivot piece but not sure if that's an adjustment.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy stand adjustable?

Unless they changed them from '06-'08 they do have a lot of slop in them.If you noticed,when the bike is leaned over there a locking tab that sets into place preventing the jiffy stand to retract all the way.
To answer your question,no.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser

No, it's not adjustable that I know of.

The leg stop piece under the bolt locks the jiffy stand in place so that it cannot fold up when the bike's weight is on it.

Each time I use the jiffy stand, my 08 RK rolls slightly forward until the leg stop catches. I took my jiffy stand mechanism apart but couldn't find any way to adjust the jiffy stand forward. I thought about possibly bending it forward a bit but worried about cracking the chrome. I also thought about putting a couple washers on the rear part of the bracket. If anyone has any ideas on how to move the jiffy stand forward slightly, I'd be interesting in hearing them.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been asked before. I felt the same way at first. Coming off another bike these jiffy stands take a while to get used to. My bike rolls foward just a bit also when setting it down on the stand. The stand always looks like its slightly behindwhere it should be like its about to fold up. Wont be long you will fly into starbucks with the bike front slightly downhill, leave the bike in gear and throw it on the stand without even thinking about it.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

This has been asked before. I felt the same way at first. Coming off another bike these jiffy stands take a while to get used to. My bike rolls foward just a bit also when setting it down on the stand. The stand always looks like its slightly behindwhere it should be like its about to fold up. Wont be long you will fly into starbucks with the bike front slightly downhill, leave the bike in gear and throw it on the stand without even thinking about it.
+1 Took a little getting used to, I used to always park in neutral. Now I just leave it in gear and drop the stand.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was told by a wrench that I know that it takes 200 lbs of forwar force ,and a catch or uneven ground to move the stand from the down position with the bike leaning on it.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it seems precarious, but as long as the tab is in-between the front and rear stop, the bike ain't going anywhere. The HD jiffy stand is probably one the most well designed & reliable parts of your bike.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I look at mine every time to make sure the tab is in the slot. As long as it is, your ok. You'll get used to it.

Oh, no ajustment that I know of either.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
ruin66
Advanced

I have an 06 ec, and like you, and many others, it bothered me too. I don't care if it does work great, it feels wierd. what i did was take the locking cog off of the top of the stand, ( the piece held on with the nut ), took it down to my local machine shop, and had a duplicate made with the square hole rotated 10 to 15 degrees. it's hard to be real acurate. problem solved. works great, swings about three inches further forward, so when the bike sits on it, the weight of the bike holds it in place. I really can't believe noone has made a bunch of these and sold them on e-bay.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll get used to it but it sure make me uncomfortable walking away from the bike some times. The stand on my Roadster feels much more secure.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand adjustable?