Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 and Power Commander setup question....

Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 and Power Commander setup question....

Hi all...I am sure ther have been many threads on this subject, but I can't seem to find them with any ease so here goes...I bought an 06 Street Glide and had the stage 1 kit installed which included - Screamin Eagle slipons, free-flowing air cleaner assembly and a re-map. The bike runs like a top with no complaints......now the concern....
My buddy just purchased an 06 Electra Glide and wants to put a stage 1 as well, but he purchased his bike from a different dealer who is telling him he must not only install the pipes and aircleaner system with a re-map, but also he must get a power commander box or it will run like sh**. Well, mine doesn't. And besides, I also thought the power commander box was for future upgrades like cams and heads and such....
Can someone just tell me what the hells goin' on? I'm so confused. Thanks in advance for your help. Later cats.....

Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stage 1 and Power Commander setup question....

nardo, im no expert, but here is what i have learned, as i am getting a pcIII soon

it is for any setup. you can go to K & N website and download many different maps, for many configurations
you can then customize any of them to suit your needs

from what i understand, the best tune is done on a dyno, with either the pcIII or sert
this is all from what i have read here.

good luck

Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

You will get the most out of your bike with a PCIII and a custom dyno tune. If you are very lucky, it might run OK with a stage 1 remap, but it won't be tuned to it's full potential.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 835 Likes on 410 Posts

I am a big fan of the PCIII; it does what it's supposed to, and it's very flexible. I'd recommending getting the PCIII and forgetting about the Stage 1.

Uncle Peepers

Old 03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

delete

Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All comments made so far are correct. The pc3 will give you a finer tune. for example: do you get popping on decel? if you do a pc3 or sert can fix that. Some bokes will run just fine without it but not as good as with it. It is worth the money. I have used both and I would go with the SERT.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

The SERT and the PC III are both able to tune your bike for the best performance and Air fuel ratio set up. Something to consider is the DYNO that you really need to have done. Pic a tuner that has people in the area that are good at tuning using that tuner, if the dealer in your area has a DYNO and uses SERT, you might want to go that way, if the local metric shops outnumber the HD dealers and they have a good rep for DYNO tuning you might want to go that way. No facts to back up my next statement but I'll bet there are more PC DYNO tuners out there than there are HD SERT tuners. Just consider your support when making your purchase. You might want to also consider what looks like the "HD" getting out of the slip on pipe business, whats next?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

I reallyappreciate your comments and recommendations....y the loks of things my buddy should be fine since he is starting from scratch, but where does that leave me being that I already have the stage 1 done? How much cash am I looking at to do the PCIII with a dyno? And until I can afford it, is it a detriment or strain on the engine and fuel injectin system by running her as she is now? Thanks again all......

Old 03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

My 06 Ultra also ran like crap. I have the Screaming Eagle II slipon exhust, Stage 1 download, and Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner. I emailed Dynojet and they sent me a map for my PCIII USB. Ran better but still real hot and poped on decel. Someone posted that using map 801-159 runs well with the Ultra. It does. I am really happy with this canned map. Really runs strong, minimal poping on decel and not hot when you stop at a light. I will get the dyno tune soon.

Really good map for my setup eventhough it is not for my pipes. Dynojet will tell you to try other maps. The one for your equipment will not always work. Try the 801-159 works well.

I decided to talk to the dealer about the CVO injectors so that I would have them if the PCIII ever failed. They are on order. I will have the dyno tune after they are installed. Dealer agread to installing the new injectors without an argument.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Personally I switched from the V&H FuelPak (bought it when I bought the bike due to installing the V&H slip-ons at the time of bike delivery) to the PCIII. I am located fairly close to Eastern Performance Cycles and will have them do the dyno when the time comes. I called and talked to their dyno tech in regards to time of year tuning based on our location (cold winters / warm summers). He said they, of course, tune the bikes in a heated environment so the bike will run optimally in warmer weather. I have the Stage 1 installed including the download, V&H slip-ons and the true duals. As cold weather was approaching I noticed a decrease in fuel mileage and a difference in running when I had the PCIII hooked up and using a map I installed from the DynoJet website. I disconnected the PCIII and the bike just seemed to run a bit better in the cold weather without it. Is it all in my head?.......probably but that's the way I've been running it for the past few months. As spring starts to hit a little warmer I will take the bike over to Eastern Performance for a real dyno tune and burn that custom map to a cd for safe keeping.

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1 and Power Commander setup question....