Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership careless???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership careless???

Before vacation, I drop off my '05 to the dealer&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;(HD of Appleton) for a laundry list of things that need attention.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
New tires, new brakes, adjust clutch/chain, fix oil leaks, etc....
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
So they have the bike for ten days.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I pick it up yesterday - 9am.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Give it the once over - no dents or scratches - nice.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Looks like they washed it too.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Things look good.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hop on and hit the road.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Couple miles out, I get hit in the face with what I thought was water.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Pull over to see WTF is going on.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Right side mirrors look wet too.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
GREAT. The&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;master cylinder cover is missing the front screw and the rear one is just sitting there loose.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It is brake fluid all over the place.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Cover was blowing off in the wind.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Back to the dealer -&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;wait around for TWO AND A HALF hours as they fix it and wash it.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
So I'm ready to go, but take a look at the chrome cover - the a$$wipes used a standard non-chrome screw.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; WTF again.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I bitched again and got a free set of chrome screws - yeah thanks.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Have they ever heard of&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; DOING IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME???
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am tempted to write/talk to the owner and demand some type of compensation.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Is that being **** or is it justified???&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Hey, I lost a few hours of prime riding time.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Dave H.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;(venting)
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Appleton, Wisconsin

Old 07-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Yogibear
Tourer
Default RE: Stealership careless

Sad thing is this is becoming the "norm" not the exception these days!
&nbsp\\;
Makes me wish I'd gone to motorcycle mechanic school not computer school..........
&nbsp\\;
Dennis

Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FUNNY you call them a STEALER - YET to take you bike to them... Find THAT HARD to understand - OR MAYBE A BETTER WORD WOULD BE STUPID..

IF YA WANT IT DONE RIGHT - DO IT YOURSELF!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

They really dont care!! I went to a New Dealership that just opened in New Jersey, Bayonne! Thas all Im saying! They did me a favor and slipped me in on a Saturday for an oil change! Nice guys!! With Synthetics, $104.00!! I was between the 1K and 5K Service periods, should have done it myself!! Anyways later that night I go into the garage to cover the bike I see oil on the floor! a small amount, actually a few drops. I check the filter, on tight then the drainplug, also tight I then see oil all over the regulator and lower motor mount or heim joint, when the "Tech" changed the filter he was sloppy obviously, I had&nbsp\\;to wipe it all off. A sloppy job and could have been cleaned off by the tech they don't give an eff!! This is a new dealer that as the service manager said Is "trying to make a name for themselves" and win over new customers!! Well they sure made a name withe me "The Dealer I Won't Be Returning To"!!! Glad I only had em do an oil change!! All the dealers care about is the guy that wants to buy a new bike and put 5K in chrome on it before it leaves the dealership. You know what all the dealers I talk to say"We dont make much on the sale of a new bike, we make all our bread and butter on parts and service" Am I missing something here?? Thanks Bill&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

&nbsp\\;

At least they didn't put your tires on backwards, ...did they? I've had that happen.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, sounds like today is just not your day.&nbsp\\; First an old lady runs the red light and now this...&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I've always been taught to cut someone's brake lines to take them out, and here the dealership is leaving the cover off of your master cylinder to take you out. (ok, bad maffia reference)
&nbsp\\;
I hear you about the dealerships tho.&nbsp\\; It seems&nbsp\\;some of them&nbsp\\;have forgotten that they provide a service for those who have a choice of where to take their bikes.&nbsp\\; I would look into finding another place, ASAP.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

Make sure you keep an eye on areas where the fluid might of fallen, that stuff is nasty on paint and exposed metals.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Three Rivers Harley in Pittsburgh put my front wheel on backwards just this past Wednesday.&nbsp\\; It was in there for new Michelins.&nbsp\\; I noticed the arrow on the front tire was facing the wrong way.&nbsp\\; I then realized the wheel was put on backwards.&nbsp\\; Incredible!
Gary D.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't get much out of it demanding anything.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Its not like they took it out on a test ride and totalled it.&nbsp\\; And they did make everything right (chrome screws finally).&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
But a letter to the owner would be in order if it happened to me.&nbsp\\; Matter of principal you know.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do my own service. Maintenance Manual and parts book are very handy.

Quick Reply: Dealership careless???