Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backing up a SG question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default backing up a SG question

While backing up I have figured out if the passenger foot pegs are down I can only take real small steps before they hit the backs of my legs. If I fold them up it is much better.
Now my question........For those of you with floor boards..do the floor boards stick out any more than the pegs or is it less?

If they stick out more do your legs still clear with them folded up?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My legs clear them when folded up. I always put them up when backing up to prevent what you explained.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question.....because I am considering installing a set of passenger footboards on my 08' SG. Either the passenger footboards, or a foot peg mount that would raise up the peg itself. My GF has short legs, and since I installed the saddle bag crash bars, the bar bothers the back of her knee or calf. If the peg was higher, it would be just fine, and I already know the MOCO sells "reduced reach" passenger footboard mounts.....so I may have to go that route....just more money thats all.
If the pass footboards are going to hit the back of my leg like or worse than the pegs do.....I think I will be sticking with the pegs, and finding a way to rise them up a bit.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can comment on this. We came off a 08 Roadstar. That thing was so long I would have to look to see if she was still back there. When we got the glide the first thing I noticed was she was right up on me from her seat and freakin passenger pegs always hit me in the back of the calves when moving the bike around. I installed the old style "D" shaped boards with chrome skull covers. My calves still hit the boards just the same. But to be honest, after a couple long trips I un-knowingly adjusted and now I never hit the boards. I think its just a a matter of getting used to it and adjusting how far back your legs go before you pick your feet up. Seriuosly, its never an issue for me anymore.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually keep my floorboards down when backing up. I find that if there is any slight incline and it want to roll forward that I can let them rest against my calves to keep it from rolling. And also as a little extra support to give it a push back.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
sortasuave
Tourer

I can also answer from expirence on this topic. I moved from a V-star and never ever hit the passenger pegs. The first thing I did when I got my SG was hit em with the back of my calves. Especially when walking the bike forward. I later changed out to the SE passenger floorboards and thought they stuck out just a hair more then the pegs. But I didn't think it so much that I really hit them more then once or twice. (I honestly can't remember the last time I did....)

For quite a while, I was of the opinion that this was a major design flaw in the touring bikes. But now that I've lived with it for a couple of years, I really don't notice it that much. I think you learn to widen your stance (and for that matter, widen your legs while sitting) just a hair more as you spend time living with this style of bike.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser

I put the rear boards up also when I am backing up. they do hit my legs when down. Kuryaken sells a rear peg called "the Switchblade" that has a heel pullout that I am considering putting on. take a look at those on their site.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 AM
EZ STREET
Cruiser
Wink

installed SE adj floorboards and flipped the installed the left on right and right on left
set them back 2inch more no moe banging legs when walking the bike with them up or down