Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg wired amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
3itodd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg wired amp Questions

Hey hows it going, I have a hawg wired amp in my bike a psc1502 and it stopped working the other day. Ive checked all the connections fuses everything the light will not come on the amp the ground remote and fuses are all connected perfect.Just curious if anyone has had a problem?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my radio sound quit last fall, with a Hawg Wired setup. I called Hawg Wired and they told me to do this first to check out the amp system.

There is an "Input jack" on the back of the amp, that you can plug an Ipod (or similar product) into. If sound comes out of your speakers from the Ipod, then there is nothing wrong with the Hawg Wired system. It's you radio.

It happene to me. No sound out of the radio and everything looked fine. I checked it out and had sound through the amp, so I then had to send my radio in for a warrentee swap.

Of course my HD service writer and mechanic said it had to be my amp. But I convinced them to trust me and they sent it in and the new/refurbished radio is working fine now without me touching the Hawg Wired stuff. That was the first thing they blamed.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
3itodd
Tourer

Ive also un did the connections at the speakers and hooked the factory wires up to the speakers and it will work..it just wont work while hooked up threw the amp.. It has power at the 15amp fuse on the amp..I tried hooking my ipod up to the input port on the back of the amp and still nothing! I dont know the amp has power the red light is not on though and not working!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
3itodd
Tourer

I hooked my Ipod up threw the radio aux, and still nothing. then i had my ipod hooked up threw the radio and I had my ipod head phones there and plugged into the amp and I heard my ipod playing..I dont know if that will be any help? I'm very mechanincly inclined, I use to hook up steros in all my buddys cars when I was younger its the same pricipal I've tripled checked everything and I cant figure it out! it was just working then stopped! Maybe how I hooked my Ipod up to the radio and the plugged into the input it bi passed the radio so maybe the radio is still faulty? I wonder if it could be the crossovers, but I dont think they wood go out at the same time..

Last edited by 3itodd; 01-03-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

How old is your amp? Irregardless call Rob or Mike at Hawg wired. They will go out of their way to help you and if need be they will update your amp and will cover it under warranty. First rate service.
BTW, I had an issue where I would get popping thru the speakers when I turned off the ignition, they told me to test it a couple ways and if it still did it with the amp off it was the radio head. Long story short I had a dakota digital antenna in ad thats when it did it. Since I have XM I tossed the dakota and plugged in the stock wire.
Hasnt happend since but my question to you is how hard of a time did the moco give you when you said it was their radio? My warranty is up in April but I am concerned the radio may be going bad as there is a burnt smell under the fairing around the radio heat sinks.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:13 AM
3itodd
Tourer

I havnt really talked to anyone at the harley dealer yet I figured I wood try doing some home work over the weekend and figure out what to do for monday.. I'm not sure how old the amp is but my bike is a 07 so I figure it cant be that old and still under warrenty...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not bypass the amp to check the radio?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
3itodd
Tourer

Ive by passed the amp and hooked it up to the speakers to double check that the radio was still working and it is still working the problem is not the radio our the connections.. thanxs!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
3itodd
Tourer

anyone else have any problems?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got the 4 channel expandable version. Currently using just the 2 channel 150 watt amp. Never had a problem where the sound went away completely. The only thing I've ever had happen that didn't seem right is a loss of high frequencies when I'm pushing the volume at or near max on the freeway. Seems like it's going in to a protection mode. But the volume never goes away. I'm thinking you should give hawg wired a call also. I need to call them as well. I just never seem to get around to it!

Quick Reply: Hawg wired amp Questions