Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a cooler running engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may be wrong here and I am sure there are others here who know more about this than I do, but if the oil isn't brought up to a high enough temperature it won't evaporate the water that contaminates it. That is one of the reasons motors of all vehicles wear more with stop and go driving around town. They often don't reach high enough temperature to expel the water contamination causing the oil to degrade faster. Dropping the temps by 60 degrees seems to be too much if your oil temps are running mid to lower 200's. Maybe someone else can chime in here with a little more detail on this.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have to boil water to get it to evaporate.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mad4249
Have a 08 Ultra with the 96 engine, and the lean mixture. Have done alot of reading and talking to folks about exhaust changes, race tuners, true duals. The dealer said to go with the Harley family of products, like a stage 1, reflash the ECM, and screaming eagle slip ons.

I would like to get the fuel mixture richer, engine running cooler, a little more noise and not spend a forture.
So what works? I feel the dealer has to remain within the EPA standards with their products. I see that the 09 has the heat deflectors standard, so there is a problem with the heat.
Would like to hear what is working the best. Sorry if this is an old subject.
HD Stage 1 download: Will not likely reduce heat at all. Will match up AFR's after an AC/muffler upgrade to stock values while retaining EPA standards. The performance increase will be relatively small, primarily from the free-flowing AC and muffler upgrade. Cost: ~$150.

XIED's: Only useful for stock bikes with no more than a muffler upgrade. Will not increase performance or anything else beyond about 50% throttle position when the bike leaves closed-loop mode. This is basically two $3 resistors sold for $125 that fit in place of the O2-sensor connector. They fool the ECU into maintaining a 14.2:1 (or thereabouts) AFR when in closed-loop mode. If you ever plan on a free-flowing AC upgrade or anything else you'll need a real EFI controller.

Fuel Moto Power Package: $660 gets you a PCV, AC, and Dyno-Tuned Jackpot mufflers. Heat will be reduced and you will realize a meaningful performance increase. This is a real EFI controller that you can program yourself with a notebook computer and can be expanded to Auto-Tune if desired. The AT kit comes with two wide-band O2 sensors and is a very powerful tuning upgrade, although overkill for most owners IMO. I think the PCV without AT is the best bang-for-the-buck Stage 1 option on the market by far. Search this forum for "Fuel Moto" and read the glowing testimonials. Also, their customer support is second to none. If you make an upgrade (cams, head-work, etc.), you can call and receive an updated map for your new upgrades, but if you have Auto-Tune it will tune itself on the fly. The big plus for this package is Fuel Moto's map, installed on the PCV at the time of purchase, which is created from a dyno-tune on a like-equipped bike, and these are very accurate.

Other options include SERT/SEST (HD), TTS (designed by Steve Cole, creator of SERT), T-Max, and a few others. Most EFI controllers work to alter AFR's and ignition advance, either by direct influence on the ECU (TTS, SERT/SEST) or via a "piggyback" method (PCV). SEST and TTS are powerful programs that allow detailed programming of the ECU, but are overkill for most users IMO and usually require a dyno tune. T-Max is a wide-band ECU hardware replacement, but isn't available yet for any TBW bike and has some inherent limitations.

Last edited by iclick; 03-21-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
homyakchik
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing for Enigma Concepts' cooler

It was also noted about the Enigma Concepts cooler idea:

>60 degrees!!!! How much?

One of the folks there eventually got back to me (hotmail flags them as spam; if you attempt contact and don't hear back, check your spam folders). According to himself, as of 01 MAY 09, the price is $1495 *shriek*. He said, though, that they were honoring the sale price until then of $1200.

At that point in time it ceased to be an option for me anyway, but figured I could share that. Time to go start looking at FuelMoto stuff.

Davey

Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Full stage 1
sounds great
what heat now
+1

Got an 08 Ultra last summer. First thing I did after the 1K service was to install a SE air cleaner, PCIII, and a set of Rinehart slip ons. Things are much better now, I'm really pleased.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XIED's are great

Put them on my 08 SG and it runs better stronger and cooler. Makes no difference if you are keeping stock or adding pipes, air flow,etc. The effect is on the low speed (<2KRPM) expect loss of 2mpg as the bike runs a little richer (duh) Great support and easy (15 minute install) hidden from view and does not attract attention from dealer.