Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use dino 20/50 and change it regularly- honestly it's just oil and if you service your engine regularly you'll be fine. ANY oil on the market will perform way above what is needed for these engines

Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I may just use Extra VIRGIN Olive oil...only thing Virgin close to these parts...hell, wife cooks with it so it has to be good.

if the oil meets the specs it's ok. Granted synthetics are better than dino. but to compare all the synthetics to each other, unless you're racing and doing some wild chit, each will do it's job. Get what's the easiets to get! Change your oil regurlarly and ride the damn bike.....we're wasting a lot of time discussing this...wait, we're at work so it's ok....

Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline......any of these major synthetics are the way to go. Granted I sell Amsoil, but I have been known to use Mobil 1 just cause I didn't want to wait the 2-3 days it takes me to get it from the distributor!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I've seen several oil tests that included Syn3 and none showed it to be an inferior product. In fact, no test that I've seen show any of the major synthetic players to be inferior overall, regardless of price, with none standing out as a clear winner. Since you've brought it up I'm sure you've seen evidence to support your statement and I would also like to see it. Thanks.
There were several past threads about OIL which I don't care to research and look for. But you need to factor this into your thought process when deciding which brand to use. Harley Davidson builds Motorcycles and they are NOT an Oil manufacturing Company. AMSOIL, Red Line, Mobil all do make their own synthetic oil. So, the question is, what is really inside of Harley's SYN3s bottles? I remember reading it was Oil sourced from the lowest bidder and likley is NOT of the same top (premium) quality as all the others. Now, thats not to say it doesn't meet spec and won't be more then suitable for your scoot but dollar for dollar, why wouldn't you go with one of the other "sure things?" I would buy it over "dino" oils but you will find some who will even argue that dino oil is more then good enough too, following running and mileage recommendations. So, what's in the bottle I ask you? Never mind, I use Red Line and am very content with that choice. I don't know if there really is a wrong choice although I do believe there are "better" choices, dollar for dollar.

Last edited by RODEO; 04-15-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I use it in all 3 holes, all the research I have read says it is better than the syn 3. So for the price being almost the same I use it. Just me.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
I use dino 20/50 and change it regularly- honestly it's just oil and if you service your engine regularly you'll be fine. ANY oil on the market will perform way above what is needed for these engines
You think like me. 73k miles on mine using dino. She doesn't smoke, still runs like new, and doesn't need any oil added between changes.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keltonkrew
Granted synthetics are better than dino.
Really? and you're sure of this..........because........you read a post on the internet that said so.....OK

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Really? and you're sure of this..........because........you read a post on the internet that said so.....OK

hey.....if it's on the internet it HAS to be true right?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

you are running the best you can buy i use amsoil in all my machines my car my truck

my buddies car trucks and bikes it a great product 100,000 miles from now you will be

glad to use amsoil -ride safe

Old 04-15-2009, 05:58 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I keep every vehicle I buy forever, so I always put in the best oil I can which is either Amsoil or Mobil 1. If you don't keep your stuff forever like me then put whatever in.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope!!!!! Do one simple test and you'll be convinced. Get two pans and put 1 teaspoon full of Amsoil in one and 1 teaspoon full of dino in the other, maximum heat....watch the results.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 04-15-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: oil change