Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nail in rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
jbmss
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nail in rear tire

I need some advice.I just found a nail in my rear tire i know i,ll need a new tube but should i need a new tire? The nail was in the middle of the back tire it,s not loosing air .The nail looks like the size of a small roofing nail.any advice would be deeply appritated. THANKS

Old 04-19-2009, 11:33 AM
briggs07
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmss
I need some advice.I just found a nail in my rear tire i know i,ll need a new tube but should i need a new tire? The nail was in the middle of the back tire it,s not loosing air .The nail looks like the size of a small roofing nail.any advice would be deeply appritated. THANKS
If its not loosing air then y would you need a new tube? Unless you havent pulled the nail out yet and your just assuming it went threw your tube. I pulled a nail outta my front tire about 5,000 miles ago and didnt get any leaks after i pulled it and ive been fine on that same tire since.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

unless you have spokes you don't have a tube...that being said...If your tire is still got alot of tread left you can start running a tube...If you go to the stealership your buying a new tire...I no my local shops won't repair a tire...

Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

Put a bottle of ride-on or slime tire sealant, pull the nail and ride. Put about 1500 miles on at the end of last season on my new rear tire that picked up a nail almost immediately. Didn't lose a pound of air the whole winter in storage either.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
digz`
Tourer

I learned the hard way not having sealant for emergency for a trip.

Was in eastern Wyoming on my way to Sturgis where there is absolutely nothing and got a nail in my rear tire on my chopper. Luckily fellow biker stopped to help out and had a can.
Long story short i made it to Sturgis and bought new 250 tire and was good to go

*Note to self always carry fix-flat on long trips*

Old 04-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always load Ride-On in each tire when I get new ones. Solves the balancing issue and never have to worry about picking up a nail. On my old Dunlops I picked up a finishing nail on the rear tire, but since I had Ride-On inside, pulled the nail and kept riding. Lost about a pound of air over the next 3,000 miles.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
jbmss
Advanced
Default nail in rear tire

I have spokes so i have a tube in the tire. I pulled the nail out and air came out. So it looks like i'll need a tube. Shouln't need a new tire.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Chief40al
Road Captain

can you use (slime) fix a flat in a tube?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't ride tube type tires and if I get a nail, I replace the tire. Just my personal opinion.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rapz
I don't ride tube type tires and if I get a nail, I replace the tire. Just my personal opinion.
Please mail me all of your nail punctured tires with good tread. I will tube them and gladly wear them out.

Quick Reply: Nail in rear tire