Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD working on a liquid cooled V4 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HD working on a liquid cooled V4 engine?

Found this article this morning thought I would get your reaction...

Posted Monday, April 20th, 2009 in Asphault & Rubber

There’s a rumor going around that Harley-Davidson is working on a water-cooled, four cylinder, v-twin motor with a displacement somewhere between 1,300cc and 1,600cc. The good, the bad, and the ugly after the jump.

Supposedly, the heads of the motor are set at 72º, which is halfway between the bulkier but smoother running 90º setup, and the more traditional 45º setup used on the current Harley Twin Cam and Evo engines. What is especially interesting about this rumor is that each crankshaft throw is to be split 18oº either side of the throw centerline, so that the resulting piston configuration emulates a 90º engine. This arrangement could be in an effort to retain the “Harley” sound of the bike, which the company once tried to trademark.

It seems hard to imagine how this rumor could be true if the final application of the motor is to be on a Harley-Davidson cruiser. A complete departure from an air-cooled, v-twin motor is sure to sour the taste with many die hard Harley riders. However, we can perhaps see this application in a “sportier” cruiser model, similar to the V-Rod, that is aimed to extend Harley’s product line beyond its current loyal fan base. This notion is something the company should seriously consider doing, but so far has had a less than stellar time achieving with the VRSC model line. The brand extension is more palatable, but would still be a big step for the Milwaukee based manufacturer, who had an up-hill battle when simply proposing the Porsche design V-Rod motor.

What we’re more inclined to believe is that the motor could be destined for a different mark under Harley’s control, either Buell or a new brand of motorcycle not yet disclosed. Time will tell both if this rumor should pane out to be truth, and what the final details are.

Could this possibly be the new Road Glide??

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll keep my '05 forever.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TheShrink
I'll keep my '05 forever.
+1 on that!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not for me.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Count me in...I'll keep my '09 forever too.

Tried V-Rod a few times through Demo Rides. Felt like I was riding a Metric and barfed my cookies afterwards.

Ol' Harley Big Twin rules,

Thorey

Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 AM
GM-4-LIFE
Advanced

Rumors keep flying, but we will all know what Harley releases come July. Just two more months guys! Hang in there!

I will keep my 08 Screamin Eagle Dyna and 09 Street Glide FOREVER!

I had a 07 Screamin Eagle V-Rod and hated the seating position and the way it sounded! Got rid of it in favor of the 09 Street Glide!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blah, blah, blah. Does the insanity never end?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
Blah, blah, blah. Does the insanity ever end?
Nope, this has gone on and on and on and it will never end! Every year there will be rumors and every year after that and every...well you get the picture!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Go-Go Caddy
Intermediate

I'd buy a new liquid engine in a heartbeat! The V-Rod engine has not had any problems that I have heard of and the dealerships that I have asked about the engine always say, "I wish they all worked that well." I only wish they would put the engine in a more comfortable bike for those 6' or taller, though the Muscle is bad ***! Air-cooled is ok and I LOVE my Street Glide, but l-cooled engines are smoother, run cooler, and provide more power, and last longer.

Quick Reply: HD working on a liquid cooled V4 engine?