Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front brake dragging/noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Nikwho
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake dragging/noise

On my '05 RK, the front brakes make an annoying noise. If i pull in on the lever just a little bit, it goes away. no noise under braking either... only when not engaged. On some disc brake set ups on cars, there is a spring keeping the pads pushed away from the rotor, is there something like this on my brakes that could be missing? Is there anyway to fix this? there is plenty of meat left on the pads, too. thanks, Nik

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
my06NT
Cruiser

I have the exact same problem. I had it to the shop twice to fix, and all they did was pull the pads and said they de-glazed the pads, and put a chamfer on them. Noise came back in a week.

3rd time I took it in, I told them I wanted it fixed for good, they said they pulled the calipers and cleaned and checked the seals, and all was good, the noise was still there.

I gave up on the dealer, and changed out the pads to Lyndall's, the noise is much less, I now only here it once in a while.

Once I get some time, I will pull the whole system apart and check it all out for myself.

Good luck with yours.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
vette8494
Advanced

I have an '09 SG. When moving it around the garage I have the same sound. It goes away, so I haven't paid much attention. Brakes still work great.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I just put brakes on my '01 RK. I have the noise too. It's the pads rubbing the rotor slightly. I ignore it.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here......new pads too. i had the same noise on my road king also. theres nothing to retract the pads back when you release the lever.....its normal.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 AM
kaosj
4th Gear

Have you changed pads recently? I put new pads on mine and ended up with a squeal that was hardly noticeable. I eventually noticed my rotors would be hot after a ride. Turns out the caliper has a clip in it that doesn't fit the way I thought it ought to. Once I put the clip in the way the manual shows, the front brakes remain quite and cool.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Nikwho
Novice

I have not changed the pads recently. But, perhaps i should and see if its better when i put it back together. its pretty loud and somewhat embarrassing. It just does not seem right to me. Ill check out the clip as the manual says to replace it. hopefully it fixes it. its got to go!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 AM
RoadKing904
Novice

when you install the new pads, i would suggest you put some "disc quiet' goop on the back side where it sits against the pistons. you can get it at Advance Auto or any automotive store. comes in a small bottle and is a red color.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,340 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Try this... take your pads off yourself....get you some 80 grit sand paper and sand the surface and make sure there are no edges... re install...I had some noise but i ignore it... can only hear it at very low speed...i changed my pads to EBC double sintered...stops a lot better but squeals a bit at slow stops....Lyndall are apparently very good too.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Al
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikwho
On my '05 RK, the front brakes make an annoying noise. If i pull in on the lever just a little bit, it goes away. no noise under braking either... only when not engaged. On some disc brake set ups on cars, there is a spring keeping the pads pushed away from the rotor, is there something like this on my brakes that could be missing? Is there anyway to fix this? there is plenty of meat left on the pads, too. thanks, Nik
It is normal for a Harley. Even the dealers will tell you. I have had mine apart, they look just fine. Thought the new Brembos would be different?

Quick Reply: front brake dragging/noise