Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elite 3 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
That's my point. The E3s are Bias and the stock Dunlop 402 are a radial tire.
If it's a D402 and it's for a Harley it's bias ply

Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
That's my point. The E3s are Bias and the stock Dunlop 402 are a radial tire.
D402's are bias-ply, as are all E3's that will fit Harleys. I know of no radial tire made in a size that will fit our bikes.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
duffey11
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both bias tires, that the issue. I agree that mixing tread patterns on bikes is not recommended, but i would like to get a few more miles out of the rear tire before changing it. Guess i have no choice. I'm going to change out the rear to match the front. At highway speeds this thing wags like a dogs tail. I do like the feel of the steering, very light and responsive, kinda like a sport bike.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
D402's are bias-ply, as are all E3's that will fit Harleys. I know of no radial tire made in a size that will fit our bikes.
My mistake. I thought the tire in question was the E3 radial....

Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duffey11
They are both bias tires, that the issue. I agree that mixing tread patterns on bikes is not recommended, but i would like to get a few more miles out of the rear tire before changing it. Guess i have no choice. I'm going to change out the rear to match the front. At highway speeds this thing wags like a dogs tail. I do like the feel of the steering, very light and responsive, kinda like a sport bike.
I just did the reverse, had an Avon Venom on front w 8k oi and didn't want to throw away $$ and didn't have a handling problem but today change it out as I wanted matching tires. Just a short ride I'm glad I did. I think the back would make a big difference since that's where your traction is from. You can probable get a few bucks for your tire and I think you will really feel the difference. Good Luck and let us know.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not ridden a Dunlop tire on a Harley yet, but I used to ride BMWs and various Dunlop tires were stock on those bikes. Almost without execption the best upgrade you could make to a BMW was to remove the Dunlop tires. I personally like Metzler and Michelin tires for bikes.

Re'

Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
duffey11
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new rear Elite 3 came in today, I will be mounting and balancing tomorrow. I will update everyone on the results. Just be careful mixing tread patterns, even if ther the same bias tires. Wrote dunlop and they gave me the legal answer "don't mix tires" after a few e-mails back and forth they stated "its possible that my new E3 fnt tire could be bad".

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If your previous front tire was cupping and now Dunlop says you could have a bad new front tire, is it possible that you have a bad front wheel?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been running Michelin Commanders and recently changed the front to an E3. Since the Michelin has a similar tread pattern to the 402, I found they rode about the same - and thats why I wanted to try the E3. With the E3 on the front, it has been a great improvement over what I had before - handling much better. Seems to be no problems mixing the 2.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I had been running Michelin Commanders and recently changed the front to an E3. Since the Michelin has a similar tread pattern to the 402, I found they rode about the same - and thats why I wanted to try the E3. With the E3 on the front, it has been a great improvement over what I had before - handling much better. Seems to be no problems mixing the 2.
I've never heard of anyone having a problem mixing tire types (e.g. 402 and E3), and I suspect Dunlop's warning is more legal- than performance-oriented. I ran a D402 front and E3 rear for eight months and had no problems.

Quick Reply: Elite 3 help