Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished rear makeover...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Finished rear makeover...sort of

I finished my Bad Dad conversion over the weekend. What a job that was! I took me a little over 12 hours just to install the fender cover and assemble and mount the bags! Overall I'm happy with the result, but there a few things that I don't like.

First, even though I have the fender cover attached to the stock fender, there is a HUGE amount of flex and vibration from the fender cover when rapping the throttle. I'm a little concerned about it breaking so I might modify a rubber gromet or similar to install between the cover and fender.

Second (and my biggest "issue"), is I hate where the mufflers are compared to the holes in the fender and bags. I just put a brand new set of Bub 7 true duals on it and really don't want to change again. I don't think Bub makes a set of extended end caps for these mufflers so I'm not sure what to do about this problem.

And last, the fender cover is so wide that my detachable passenger backrest scrapes it bad and has already put large gashes in my new paint. I tried to stretch the backrest out some but it didn't really help. I guess I'll just have to live with scratched paint there. I wouldn't even put the thing on but the wife won't ride without it.

Here are a couple of lousy camera phone pictures of the end result.

Attached Thumbnails Finished rear makeover...sort of-baddad1.jpg   Finished rear makeover...sort of-baddad2.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
meintel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty bada**

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he meant badazz... +1

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that the mufflers need to come further back but it looks good otherwise.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of money spent to have those kinds of issues. I am sure you can find some extension for the exhaust but vibration and back rest scrapping that is no joke and should not happen for the kind of money.

I hope you get it worked out.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

I haven't found any exhaust extensions that I believe would work. I wish I could come up with something, but I just can't find anything.

I agree that it's a lot of money to end up with these issues, but overall it came out pretty good. I'm pretty sure I can fix the vibration issue, but I think these fenders were originally designed for use without backrests, so I'm going to have to live with the scrapping.

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Lot of money spent to have those kinds of issues. I am sure you can find some extension for the exhaust but vibration and back rest scrapping that is no joke and should not happen for the kind of money.

I hope you get it worked out.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
bobernet
Tourer

Any decent muffler shop could probably make extensions, then find someone to chrome them.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Good job! Sorry to hear about your issues with it tho! BUT...just means you get to play more...improvise and learn abit more about customization!

Keep up the good work! Mike

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Real nice!!! I agree, I think you need some tips on those mufflers.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

That's gonna be BadAzz once you get your pipes out the rear.
You can keep your 'duals headers' you just need longer pipes.

On the scraping of the fender try some of that "3m clear plastic coating" on the spots on ths sides that are scratching. Then it might scrape the coating, but not the paint.

Just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Finished rear makeover...sort of