Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Air Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Rear Shock Air Pressure

How often do you need to add air to the rear shocks? Seems like they should hold pressure but mine leak down,

Old 07-04-2009, 03:40 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Had my RKC for 3 years and it would hold the correct air pressure all through the riding season.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:47 PM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what air pressures are you guys runing in your rears?

Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

air pressure also depends if you ride solo or with passenger...

Old 07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
BlkCloud
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your connection(s) are good you shouldn't have to adjust your pressure except for ambient temperature changes. At the low pressure(s) the shocks are set at, that should mean only seasonally. First: you need to locate the leak(s). Get yourself a small spray bottle and fill it with about half a teaspoon of dish detergent. Then fill it with tap water. Most leaks in air lines are at the connections, so start there. Spray the connections with your solution. Any leaks will be easily identified by the bubbles. You can get the spray bottle at a Dollar Store; 6-8 onces is all you need.

If your leak is at a compression fitting, tightening the connection should solve your problem. If not, you will have to pull the connection apart. A small application of pipe dope on the male threads of the connection should solve the problem. Tighten your connection and you should be good-to-go. You can get the pipe dope at Home Depot or Lowes.

If your leak is at a tapered fitting, you may need to get some teflon tape. Make sure both end of teh connection are "clean". The apply several wraps of teflon tape over teh male threads of teh connection. Be sure to apply the tape in the opposite direction of the way you will screw the connection together. Otherwise, the tape will start to peel and you'll have another leak. Remember; gas fittings are "righty tighty, lefty lucy". You can get the teflon tape at Home Depot or Lowes.

Also check the Schrader valve(s); they do wear out and sometimes are defective. Make sure the valve is seated all the way and that the teflon ring (the colored piece above the threads) has no flaws. Make sure you use a Schrader tool and NOT needle-nose pliers. The Schrader tool is about a buck at any car parts store. Pliers typically bend the depression pin and cause leaks.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used a high pressure air hose, you may have blown a seal. Always use a hand pump. I use the HD one. A little over priced but works great. You can find take off air shocks on ebay and sometimes in the forum classifieds

Old 07-04-2009, 04:49 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

todya was the first time I used the HD air pump.. I wanted to see how much pressure was in the as soon as I turned the air pump on the air nipple it registered around 20lbs I pumped it up to around 28 or so becuause I am riding with a passenger...since I am around 150 and wife around 120.....I went to 28lbs....manual says around 30lbs for a weight of 300 lbs

Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FFHD05
I run 40psi most of the time and 50 when the bike is loaded up for a trip. 09 Ultra.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I donno anymore, they were at 15 last year when I bought it. It's running rough now, gotta check them before I leave on my trip.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:47 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFHD05
Depends if I have ate at Taco Hell or homemade chili!!!!!!!!! Couln't pass it up bro!!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Air Pressure