Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable fairings

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Hey Pumball, I'd love to see some pictures of your project. Both inner and outer would be great. Thanks. You can Pm me or email them if you prefer.

Here is my home made OEM detachable fairing. The only wiring connection is a power connection to the amp. Think of it as a "clam shell" that just goes on the front and the backside of a stock RK detachable windshield. The top three bolts fit through holes I drilled in the plexy. There was obviously trimming involved with the lower portion of the inner fairing, but otherwise its a direct fit. My handlebars were required to be tilted back so not to hit the inner fairing, but I had it that way anyway. A wider (at the base) set of handlebars could be run more upright. Took some fitting, but I am very happy with the finished product.

Attached Thumbnails Detachable fairings-07-29-09_1721.jpg   Detachable fairings-07-29-09_1723.jpg   Detachable fairings-07-29-09_1724.jpg   Detachable fairings-07-29-09_1725.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hagar the Horrible
Kinda like this?
Yeah Hagar, I talked to you before asking you for additional pics of your ride. The paint scheme on your fairing looks about the best to me of all the options out there, and I saved a few pics of it to my computer to reference later.

The traditional option w/ black stripe down the middle or black color taking up the whole sides just didn't quite look right to me w/out a corresponding black stripe or sides on the front fender, and neither option flowed well from the side w/ the tank.

I liked yours coz its mostly silver from the front matching the fender, and the black on the sides flows well w/ the tank from an angle or side view. And the black shield sets it all off too.

I wish I knew a good painter around here. I just have so much going on, it seems like a lot of effort to go looking for a painter, something I've not really done before.

I thought about using one of the companies that paints the fairing for you, if they can color match the 03 paint, and send em a photo of your bike and fairing...lol

I'm waiting to scrounge up the money anyway, so maybe I'll figure it out by then.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 AM
police stroker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact FIRECAP501 I got my custom Kevin Evans fairing through him with all ARC audio equipment. 6x9 speakers,tweeters, amp and Pioneer head unit check out the pics below. I'll post up the other pics here in a few with the gloss blk inside and on the bike pics.

Attached Thumbnails Detachable fairings-img_1329fair.jpg   Detachable fairings-img_1327fair.jpg   Detachable fairings-img_1331fair.jpg  
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I absolutely LOVE my Dragonfly Cycle Concepts fairing. I never take it off. Not only is the coverage excellent but it look so much better with it on. Their options are excellent. I have the new waterfroof LED stereo with Sirius Sat. The hand controls are the best. No more reaching for buttons.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very satisfied with my Quadzilla from Hoppe Industries http://hoppeindustries.com/store/

I have had it now for two years and honestly wouldn't have any other. The radio kicks and the whole thing looks like the bike was made that way.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

I am also attaching a couple of (bad) photos of the bottom of my homemade "OEM" fairing made from a stock RK windshield and OEM stock inner and outer fairing shells. See my post above.

In the first picture you can see how much of the inner fairing I trimmed off. The visible hole is the hole for the power point (which I did install).

The second picture you can see how the outer fairing fits right over the bottom of the RK lower plexi.

Attached Thumbnails Detachable fairings-03-17-09_0630.jpg   Detachable fairings-03-17-09_0650.jpg  

Last edited by Pumba11; 07-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Pumba, did you have to cut the "ring" off the bottom of the outer fairing as well?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
Pumba, did you have to cut the "ring" off the bottom of the outer fairing as well?
Yes I did, sorry forgot that part. I also had to slighly enlarge the opening that would go around the head light. Used Dremel tool to cut, and a barrel sanding drum on the hand drill to smooth and finish. Turned out nice.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fairing

+1 for Woody's detachable. He makes 2 lines now, a bare bones no audio fairing which is what I got and a radio ready one. I got my detachable a month ago with a couple of extras for about $570.00 to the door, great quality and even better service dealing with this guy. It finally came off yesterday, but it is only because it's being painted to match the bike.

Very patient via e-mail, took as much time as I needed to come up with the decision to buy.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I spent almost $1800 on one this last winter and I don't like it much. It looks OK, works OK and it does block a lot of wind but my RK just doesn't look like a RK anymore.
I'm selling it on EBAY in a few days and I'll use my winshield again when needed.

Quick Reply: Detachable fairings