Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

urgent satelite radio question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:12 AM
LDrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent satelite radio question

Well it's urgent to me, Saturday i'm takin my annual solo "meditation ride" from the chicago area(Elgin, IL to be exact) to the VA /NC side of the Smokies. At the last minute I realize I need more tunes. So by the morning(last shopping day before the trip) I must make a choice.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is satelite radio really uninterupted "coast to coast". I mean as you travel do conditions/line of sight affect your reception? Or is it trully the Nirvana of listening bliss.

2. XM or Siruis, which is better and why?

3. aux input or FM mod, does it matter

Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: urgent satelite radio question

Satellite radio will get reception from coast to coast, as long as you're not in a tunnel or some such....

Check out the lineup & see what works best for you. XM for me....

I prefer the Auxillary input. It is possible that, using the FM modulator, you will come across a city(s) where your selected station is in used and have to change the modulator frequeny on the fly...

Old 06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Lpye
Road Captain

Satelite Radio is good coast to coast, but is line of site. You may lose signal in certain areas of the mountains. I would you aux input. I traveled across country with FM Mod and ran into interference in several areas. My personal preference is XM.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:17 AM
bagr
Advanced

I'm running the Delphi Roady XT on the Road Glide. using the assy. outlet for now and it is great.
Only problem I found is I can't find one station i'm happy with, there are so many stations.
Bought the stainless steel Ram mount from GPSCity and that is a great mount ,very sturdy.
I will have to buy one of those 1 foot XM antenna's I saw online. It's hard to hide 21 feet of antenne wire. I'm also using FM modulator. When I pass overhead trees the signal strength goes down some.
Good luck hope this helps

Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surius is my choice. With Howard Stern, music stations like "outlaw county" and free playboy channel upgrade you cant go wrong... Go with he aux input if you can but the FM mod works well. Sometimes if there is a station at or near the freq you are using you will have to change the output station of the unit...

Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

I use the XM2GO because my RKC doesn't have an existing sound system. The XM2GO has it's own volume system. Plus you can carry it in your pocket while walking around and it records up to 3 hours of programming. The internal battery only keeps a charge for 3 hours, maybe a little longer. I have it connected to my bikes battery via a quick disconnect.
Gary

Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM
kirtapp
Advanced

My choice goes to Sirius.

If you look, most of the big things that XM has, like NASCAR, is moving to Sirius. You can't beat Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponger either.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XM Roady II works perfect. Even deep into Mexico. Sirius may have better choices; esp. if you like NPR which XM doesn't have. The Roady II plugs right into my Aux input so there's no loss on voice quality loss like when you use the fm mod. Cycle Gadgets has stuff to use to mount the Roady II to your bars.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:09 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Ok, I typed tis once and being hungover I messed it up... so round 2 after a shower....

Sirius..... Stern, bubba, music... PB channel..... Nascar in 07....

XM had dum and dummer.... oh sorry O&A..... But they are getting booted...... why would XM play there show edited on ******** radio? XM been lossing money?.... look them up.

As for the radio I picked up the Xact for the bike as the suction cup mount works great on the winshield.... do a search on here and there are a few picks of my setup.

As for aux or fm.... I started using tge aux but I tryed the FM and there wasnt a different in the sounf quality... that I could here... plus its one less cable even though thats not a b ig thing.

heading out to Laconia later all.... and good luck on the satellite you choose.....

Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
rhinoevans
Tourer

FYI

(CBS/AP) On the eve of a House hearing on broadcast indecency, the nation's largest radio station chain suspended shock jock Howard Stern's show, saying it did not meet the company's newly revised programming standards.

Stern expressed a measure of frustration on his show Thursday, which is still being carried on stations owned by the rival radio network that distributes his show to major city markets nationwide.

The company on Tuesday fired the DJ known as "Bubba the Love Sponge," whose show drew a record fine of $755,000 from the Federal Communications Commission. The program aired in four Florida cities and included graphic discussions about sex and drugs "designed to pander to, titillate and shock listeners," the FCC said.

In response to a caller's comment, Stern Thursday revealed there is a 90-second taped delay for his show. The standard for most radio call-in shows is six to eight seconds

Quick Reply: urgent satelite radio question