Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG, AMA, AAA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOG, AMA, AAA?

back to tow coverage - AAA will NOT tow a M/C unless you have RV/MC coverage and in CA that is not available - it is in most states, check yours.
This is not correct, there is RV/Motorcyle coberage with AAA in CA. I know because I have it. I have never had to use their MC service, but I have a friend who has used it twice and I was with himboth times. Once in CA and once in AZ for Laughlin River Run. In c=CA they were there within 20 min (which is normal whenever I use them for my car) and in AZ they took an hour, which I thought was reasonable considering it was the Laughlin Run.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I'm not sure if the nature of this post is really about belonging to a club, but for help when you're breakdown on the road. As a HOG member now for over seven years, I can tell you that I joined for a different reason. I was looking to ride with others and make new friends. Having someone to help me roadside was not my main objective of joining HOG. Every year I pay $20 extra for the Road America membership, and had to use it once. I had my bike towed to an HD dealer without any major issues, or had to wait more than 45 minutes for the flatbed to arrive.

Of course, knowing people to call is well and good. But, it would not stop me from going on my trip. Of course, also, HOG folks normally ride as a group anyway. So, you always have someone to help you.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

1. I have tubeless tires (alloy wheels), so I carry Stop N Go plug kit in my saddle bag.
2. Had one blow out I could not fix, Road America with HOG came and picked me up.
3, Carry AAA on other vehicles, Gold Plus, they laughed when I said Motorcycle.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
lilarlen
Cruiser

I brought the upgraded roadside assistance plan form HOG, used it once and just love it

I was in Spearfish canyon during Sturgis week, had my clutch cable break, called HOG Roadside they picked me up within an hour and dropped me off at the dealership.

It took me longer to get me bike looked at than it did to call, wait for the truck and get dropped back off at the dealership.

All this cost me was the extra 20 for the roadside membership.

I also use ride-on so far it looks like it works.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley0711

I have been on HD's now for just 11 years - needed a tow twice. Last was about 3 weeks ago - 30 miles north of San Simon Ca / Hurst Castle area CA. I have had Road Amercia now for the past 7 years. Each time they have been great. Second time had to talk to a supervisor because the first operator did not think I had the top coverage (quickly corrected) - each time the tow was to the nearest HD shop that was open and it was MILES - I would not be with out it. Since then I have also found and bought Ride on http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp I will Never be with out this in my tires - I spent several hours on the phone and their testiomial page - talked to 4 riders who used the product - I am sold...

back to tow coverage - AAA will NOT tow a M/C unless you have RV/MC coverage and in CA that is not available - it is in most states, check yours. My first tow was from the top of Yosemite CA - my battery shorted out - found out real fast that a newer HD with a shorted battery turns into a 700 pound brick - got towed two hours back to my home - FREE with road America (nereast HD was closed, next was Modesto which was the same distance to my house - problem solved - also Road America has Coverage (motel/meals) if you have to stay overnight because of a problem - AAA does also - you have to read the small print - but it is worth a stamp to get your $$$ back.

My newest HD is two years old - When I bought the ext warr. I also got the Tire coverage (later that night I was having buyers remorse for the tire coverage) two years later - HD paid for my new tire, labor to install and my night at Holiday Inn - I got a check for $350 three days ago from HD - so NOW I am happy I got that coverage..

Which upgraded plan do you carry?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I just upgraded my AAA Plus to Plus RV. A friend of mine who had HOG roadside assistance actually dropped it because it was, in his words, "worthless". I won't go into details, but trust me, he learned the hard way. Seems to me though that the way AAA, Road America, or any road assistance plan is handled is a regional thing. AAA clubs are all independent and operate differently. Since my experience with AAA on my cars has been great, I thought I would give the RV coverage a try. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go another $20 for Road America as well. If one doesn't do well because of where I am when I need help, I"ll have the other one as back up. And since I have laced wheels (tubes) I may just need help some day.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:55 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt8643

back to tow coverage - AAA will NOT tow a M/C unless you have RV/MC coverage and in CA that is not available - it is in most states, check yours.
This is not correct, there is RV/Motorcyle coberage with AAA in CA. I know because I have it. I have never had to use their MC service, but I have a friend who has used it twice and I was with himboth times. Once in CA and once in AZ for Laughlin River Run. In c=CA they were there within 20 min (which is normal whenever I use them for my car) and in AZ they took an hour, which I thought was reasonable considering it was the Laughlin Run.

Should re-phrase my statement - Not All of CA has that coverage - I know for sure that Northern CA AAA members are out - I am in the Modesto/area and have talked to them about this... I would love for you to prove me wrong.. I have AAA Plus coverage and have had it for Years... They will NOT tow my bike...

Road America for $30 a year will tow me to the nearest HD dealer that is open and can take me - Plus they pay for the Motel if I have to stay over night.

The areas that have AAA for bikes - Great....

Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

My plan is the $29 a year... a plan is only as good as the person taking the call - I have been very lucky so far.... did have a little trouble this last time, once a manager got on the line all went well...

ORIGINAL: soos

Which upgraded plan do you carry?
[/quote]

Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Qualifications first:

Liz works for AAA and bought me my bike as a gift.

I am a member of HOG.

My experiance, a biker with a truck will always get you to a shop, or to a bed before any of the organizations.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scout

Qualifications first:

Liz works for AAA and bought me my bike as a gift.

I am a member of HOG.

My experiance, a biker with a truck will always get you to a shop, or to a bed before any of the organizations.
Or one with a trailer.....Did I just open myself up here?

Quick Reply: HOG, AMA, AAA?