Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG, AMA, AAA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HOG, AMA, AAA?

Intresting topic! We have AAA but I'm gonna call tomorrow and inquire about the MC towing. I'll let ya know what they say.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Scout

My experiance, a biker with a truck will always get you to a shop, or to a bed before any of the organizations.

That's more of my point. I like to ride in a group such as other HOG members etc. However, on some of the longer hauls I might be solo because no one else can get off work. Any experience I've had (I'll admit now it's been limited) with any sort of roadside service has not been the best. My reason for the post was to put the feelers out there for who has the quickest service for the times I'm by myself. Although I'm sure a lot of that has to do with where you are. I don't really care what "club" it is. As far as that goes, a Honda rider can heckle me all the way to the shop as long as he get's me off the side of the road. I think 126.00 a year is kinda high just for 3 tows. The standard plan is fine with HOG as long as you don't need it more than once a year. I guess if I go with the 29.00 Road America deal through HOG, and the 25.00 a year MO-TOW deal through AMA, surely one of the two can get me somewhere. But if they don't, I think that's where the "call list" would be a great thing to fall back on. Also I need to correct myself on the AMA plan. It covers ALL your bikes, while the Road America only covers 2. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem on the road so far. (I probably shouldn't have typed that) Either way, it's not going to keep me from riding anywhere. I'm going come hell or high water. I'd just like to have a back up plan for if/when I do and I'm out there on my own.

The following users liked this post:
mikez2 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
tmf2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like riding in groups did enough of it in
my clubber days, but the HOG membership my
wife has paid for itself last year when she went down.
They paid a 100 out of a 200 dollar tow charge we wasn't
a hundred miles from home either only about 35. Talk about
ripping you of when your ol lady being heliported to the Hosp.
They kick ya when your down.

Dennis

04 FLHT
02 FLSTF
89 FXSTS
78 FXEF80
48 INDIAN CHIEF
48 INDIAN BOBBER
47 INDIAN BOBBER
48 PANHEAD

Old 06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I could not agree more... Ride like there is no tomorrow - I have only been on the HD for 11 years - needed tow twice - both times took a little while because I was in the middle of No where - However - I was Not in an ER so at the end of the day - If all I had was a shorted Bat one time and a flat the next - over 11 year - I am Way ahead... I will keep my Road America --

Old 06-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

I have the RV/MC plan with AAA; I am in the So Cal area. So far, I've only needed it for a few car/truck dead battery situations, never for a MC break-down. But that was when all I owned as far as motorcycles were Yamahas and Hondas. Now that I have the HD...[sm=signs003.gif] LOL

Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 AM
mikez2
6th Gear
Default how to get AMA

How do you get AMA..Riding to Canada so is AMA better than AAA in Canada and do both cover you in Canada. I agree HOG sucks.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 AM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahuna
I'm not sure if the nature of this post is really about belonging to a club, but for help when you're breakdown on the road. As a HOG member now for over seven years, I can tell you that I joined for a different reason. I was looking to ride with others and make new friends. Having someone to help me roadside was not my main objective of joining HOG. Every year I pay $20 extra for the Road America membership, and had to use it once. I had my bike towed to an HD dealer without any major issues, or had to wait more than 45 minutes for the flatbed to arrive.

Of course, knowing people to call is well and good. But, it would not stop me from going on my trip. Of course, also, HOG folks normally ride as a group anyway. So, you always have someone to help you.
I also have road America membership through HOG. Have used it and found it invaluable. Trust them implicitly.

The following users liked this post:
mikez2 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,819 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I belong to & support AMA. I like their roadside sevice plan because it covers the dirtbike-sled trailers. AAA failed me twice.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

AMA doesnt exist in my state. MMA is its current embodiment. Honestly, I am a member, but know zero about it. I reached out to my regional contact and never heard back. So, that shows how active they are I suppose.
I have the HOG roadside assistance. I havent used it, but its there if needed. A few times I have had issues on the road, I posted in our local HOG FB page, or the New England one, and someone assisted me within minutes.
As much as I despise social media, sometimes, it does come in handy!!!

Old 06-25-2018, 08:40 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Wow, talking about reviving an old thread. I wonder how much of the info about AAA,HOG, and AMA has changed over the past 12 years.

Quick Reply: HOG, AMA, AAA?