Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: True duel exhaust system

One thing to keep in mind is that going to True Duals makes the bike LOUDER, that's why folks like them. Now the sound is coming out equally on both sides. I have also found that anything you do to the engine,like BigBore kits, cams, headwork, intake, makes them even louder. In the short history of my bike, I have had the Rineharts, and Hookers, and now a Conversion Kit. And while a shop dyno could tell the difference between all three, I honestly have to say my butt dyno could not.

The Rineharts were the loudest of the three. I got rid of it because the left pipe stuck out a bit further, and being short Ikept hitting the back of my leg on it when backing up. The Hookers were the opposite. The left pipe wasso close to the bike that I had to undo the left rear muffler hanger under the saddlebag, and pull the exhaust away from the bike to get the left side cover off. I like the coversion kit because it keeps all the OEM clearances. The only reason I went True Dual in the first place was to get rid of the heat under my right leg. I am now considering getting the cross over pipe ceramic coated and going back to the OEM set up.

But if you want True Duals, GO FOR IT!

Mark

Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Rinehart Duals for a couple of years. The sound is awesome! I recently tried and fell in love with the Rinehart 2 into 1 pipe. My seat of the pants can definitely tell the difference and the sound is sweet, only not in stereo anymore. The look takes a little getting used to but it grows on ya.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting

A 18 month old thread returns.

WOW

Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: True dual exhaust system

ORIGINAL: swb

I hope ya'll can help me out! I was intending to put some slipon mufflers (most likely the SE touring, slash down) on my '05 RK Classic, but I am having some second thoughts. I have read many post about eliminating the stock cross over and reducing the heat by going with true duals - I thought this was bunk. Well, it is getting very warm here in south Georgia (90 degrees today) and I really feel the heat coming off the right back cross over on my leg at stops. Until now I had not really paid much attention to it, but the back right cross over runs nearly parallel to my leg at stops. My right leg is about 2 inches from the pipe - a little to close for comfort, especially when I will be riding at the beach with shorts on!

Who offers a good true dual system for a bagger?

I know Rinehart has a fine set of true duals, but I would like to get all my options. I appreciate your input.

I like the fit and finish on the V & H dual headers. Works great with the SE slip ons. Also, works great with the V&H ovals.
Nice sound with both the SE and V&H oval mufflers. No more heat on the right leg and the engine seems to run cooler.

Note: don't ride with shorts.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

I just installed VH Bigshots on my brand new 08 UG. Had 75 miles on the wisper exhaust. Did the install myself and a friend. Not sure but my butt dyno seems to feel a performance upgrade . Definately dispersed the heat, right side is not as hot. Love the sound, a deep throaty growl. The construction is fantastic in particular the full heatshield. Purchased off of ebay for $502 to my door. Like in previous posts, just a personal choice. Oh, I also installed the quiet baffles. Only lowers the sound 2-3db. Sorry no pictures yet, been raining since the install and 125 mile break in. As a side note my wife's comment on the new exhaust "now this is what a bike is to sound like".

Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack make sure you get us a picture I was thinking of putting thos eon my 08 SG. You didn't say but did you do the A/C and the Fuelpak?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

MassHD, I have the fuelpak on order. So I can save a few bucks wont be in for another 4-6 weeks, maybe sooner. Once I receive it I will also change the air. At this time just running the pipes. Will upload a picture this evening.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

ORIGINAL: ricoman

There is a true dual kit on ebay. You remove a piece of the crossover pie and plug each end, then replace the heat sheild and no one knows. Could this work?

I have just fitted a Fullsac true duals conversion kit to my 1990 Glide, which might be the eBay kit ricoman referred to. It uses most of the original system, replacing the 'H' balanceunit with a straight piece on the front pipe and on the rear with a 'U' bend at the head. All the original heatshields fit. See them at:

http://www.fullsac.com/

I have only just fitted the kit, so I cannot say if it runs perfectly yet and nor have Itried any wheelies! I bought the kit because I am not certain of the benefits of true duals so didn't want to spend too much importing a full set from the USA and be disappointed. It will be next year now before I get to decide if I really like the set-up.

If you are reading this from outside the USA Fullsac won't ship to you. Fortunately I have relatives living there so was able to get my kit out of the country via them!

My local friendly mechanic here in the UK reckons true duals only work really well with plenty of back-pressure. With low pressure mufflers the engine will not run right, which may be why true duals get mixed reviews. I have genuine Harley fish-tails (not Screaming Eagles) and first impressions are great! Mind the bike does have a stroker kit, hi-comp pistons, flowed heads, twin-choke Holley, Crane cam....

Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: myxcape

[sm=thanx.gif]
Whats your point bringing this post back from May 2005???

Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
vettedog72
Tourer

I wish the Rineharts had a little more shield on the right side. They designed them leaving the cover cut a little too much arond the right side of the motor at the bend... not as bad as stock pipesbut looks like it could have been a little fuller around the motor. The Tru duals sound great.

Quick Reply: True dual exhaust system