Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wicked cam for a 96"??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wicked cam for a 96"??

My buddy has an '09 SG. He wants a much "bigger" cam than my other buddy just put in his RK Classic (TW6-6). His plan is to yank the heads and have his brother port/polish and install bigger valves, new springs, manual compression releases, etc.

None of us can really figure out what direction to go with a big cam and stock compression. Any suggestions?

He's also got a HD high flow air cleaner, Thunderheader, Stage I download *and* a PCV.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock compression, hell the tw-6 is to big already.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,429 Likes on 8,595 Posts

If you're looking to be the fastest bike in the county, you need to do a lot more than just piddling around with inexpensive parts. Talk to someone at JIMS about a 124" motor and Baker about a DD6 tranny with the back cut gears. From there ya need to get the bike dyno tuned then go through your suspension to tweak it for your specific weight. After that, ya might want to consider a fat tire kit to handle the additional horsepower. Heck, you can get a blower installed for about 6 grand. That should reduce the number of folks who would be serious competition on the street.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he is going to stay stock with his compression ratio and is going to the trouble of pulling heads, tell him to send the heads to a reputable head builder. If you start throwing in bigger valves and changing the port size on top of a mis-matched cam, a stock 96 with a stage 1 one will walk away from it. All I can offer is research it, and ask some professionals for help in creating a resonable plan for the best combination. I would also suggest doing a search here on the forum for HD head builders and who people have had success with. Cam swaps and bad head work are easy to screw up on.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
If you're looking to be the fastest bike in the county, you need to do a lot more than just piddling around with inexpensive parts. Talk to someone at JIMS about a 124" motor and Baker about a DD6 tranny with the back cut gears. From there ya need to get the bike dyno tuned then go through your suspension to tweak it for your specific weight. After that, ya might want to consider a fat tire kit to handle the additional horsepower. Heck, you can get a blower installed for about 6 grand. That should reduce the number of folks who would be serious competition on the street.
Originally Posted by Carmell RKC
If he is going to stay stock with his compression ratio and is going to the trouble of pulling heads, tell him to send the heads to a reputable head builder. If you start throwing in bigger valves and changing the port size on top of a mis-matched cam, a stock 96 with a stage 1 one will walk away from it. All I can offer is research it, and ask some professionals for help in creating a resonable plan for the best combination. I would also suggest doing a search here on the forum for HD head builders and who people have had success with. Cam swaps and bad head work are easy to screw up on.
I'm with you guys 100%. I also told him to not waste his time yanking the heads without doing a 103. I also told him what the popular cam choices were (at least on this forum).

I did my research, and decided on a TW6-6 for me. A friend of mine beat me to the punch and got one. Now my other friend wants something bigger. I told him he needs more than just a cam and some ported heads... On the plus side, his brother is a mechanic/motor builder (cars/trucks) and has a screaming 80" Evo softail, so he did something right with his bike. I think the heads will be good.

-Aren't there issues with piston clearance with bigger cams?
-Isn't the CCP going to be higher, maybe requiring releases?
-What other issues are there to consider?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
My buddy has an '09 SG. He wants a much "bigger" cam than my other buddy just put in his RK Classic (TW6-6). His plan is to yank the heads and have his brother port/polish and install bigger valves, new springs, manual compression releases, etc.

None of us can really figure out what direction to go with a big cam and stock compression. Any suggestions?

He's also got a HD high flow air cleaner, Thunderheader, Stage I download *and* a PCV.
Sounds like a bigger is better recipe for disaster.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/

I would have him start with a phone call to these guys and see if they can point him in a direction. This will at the very least save him from making a costly mistake to an otherwise perfectly good TC96.