Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative battery connection to frame/engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Negative battery connection to frame/engine

09 Ultra Classic starts fine cold and runs great. If I make a quick stop for gas or something, I go out to start it and it turns over and there is a banging/grinding noise-sounds like starter is disengaging then quickly reengaging. It seems to be turning over slower than a cold start, but it always starts. If it sits for a while and cools off a little, it seems to start OK.

I cleaned and tightened both battery terminals and cable ends a while back and it did good for a while but it is acting up again.

I want to check the ground connection to the frame and engine but cannot trace the ground wire out. I lose it as it comes down and goes behind the transmission.

Can someone help me find it? Also, any other advise on whatever else may be going wrong here.

Thanks
Cecil

Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Let the dealer fix it. It's still under warranty.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply Dionicio. We've been having EXCELLENT weather here lately and I hate to bring it in and let them keep it for who knows how long, so I'd like to try the simple things myself before I bring it to them. I'm still able to ride. If I can't get it myself then I'll bring it in when the weather goes to pot.

Thanks
Cecil

Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how You feel, I would do the same, hate to give up My ride too. Sorry I could not of been of more help, but I am sure there other's on this forum that can give You good advise

Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hard to imagine a sound based on a post on the internet, but it sounds like something my bike does, and I have a bad starter ring gear. Missing a tooth. Pop the derby and have a look?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NewDude
hard to imagine a sound based on a post on the internet, but it sounds like something my bike does, and I have a bad starter ring gear. Missing a tooth. Pop the derby and have a look?
Yeah, ya kinda gotta be there.

I took it to the dealer today and the bike acted up for her. She said it sounded like the starter, then she talked to the mechanic and he said it could be a loose compensator nut and they may have to do both. They have parts in stock and can have the work done in 1 day. I'll be taking it in tomorrow or Tuesday because it looks like rain for the next 2 or 3 days anyway.

I've read where people are replacing the compensator with a SE type. What are the advantages and costs?

Thanks
Cecil

Last edited by smithbrl; 11-15-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know anything about the new bikes, but here's another option for the compensator. Weight reduction and supposedly better function:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...DL-COMPENSATOR

oj wait...that's not for your bike

http://www.beltdrives.com/pcdwcc.htm

down at the bottom left.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
tommyj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter noise

Hey Cecil, My 09 Ultra does the same thing. I've had it to two dealers and also called MOCO customer service and was told that it's normal. Hope you have better luck...I ordered a SE compensator because it embarasses me when I'm sitting on a 20K plus machine and it sounds like a junker. The threads are full of others having the same trouble and they went to the SE compensator as well. Keep us posted lots of guys having this problem.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't believe how much you guys go through with NEW bikes

Old 11-16-2009, 09:29 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

NewDude-Thanks for the info. I saved the site. Since the bike is in warranty, I'll probably let them repair/replace the compensator if necessary. I'll check on the price for the SE compensator if it needs to be replaced.

tommyj-I've read a little about the compenstator problem and it seems like most people are complaining about noises such as a primary with rocks in it or a rattling noise. Mine makes no noise except on a hot start. I really have no idea what a compensator is. I'll keep ya'll informed as to what/how my bike is repaired.

Thanks
Cecil

Quick Reply: Negative battery connection to frame/engine