Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide shocks on Electra Glide

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Street glide shocks on Electra Glide

If this has been asked before I apologize, I did a search a read a few topics, but was seeking further info...

I am looking at hopefully purchasing an Electra Glide soon and was thinking of putting the Street Glide rear shocks on in-order to lower the rear end. This would help bring me closer to the ground, plus I prefer the look. My question is if there is any reason that I wouldn't want to do this. I mostly ride solo, but my wife will be joining me when she can. Together we run around 350lbs. I also checked out Progressives 440 shocks in 12.5" (thought I'd split the difference between SG and EG), but the price is pretty high for the 440's.

I know that lower shocks mean less leaning angle, but I'm not a very aggressive rider, plus I figure other HD touring bikes have the shorter shocks. Anyways, just trying to think ahead and don't want to waste any money buying something that will end up harming, instead of helping, the ride.

Thanks,
B.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the sg shocks on my 03 roadking and had 'em put on my 09 Electra Glide...works well for me..28in inseam

Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

street glide shocks will work. you should also consider dropping the front too, harley has a spring kit for that ...

Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM
badwiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp johnny
I put the sg shocks on my 03 roadking and had 'em put on my 09 Electra Glide...works well for me..28in inseam
Did it effect handling at all? Did you lower the front also?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
My question is if there is any reason that I wouldn't want to do this.

B.
I can't think of any reason other than a reduction in ride quality and lean angle.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I can't think of any reason other than a reduction in ride quality and lean angle.
That pretty much says it all but I went with SG Shocks.. 1. Was a Dealer Freebie to finanlyze the sale of my EGS.. 2. With my 28 inch inseam needed about an inch lower to flatfoot with comfort accomplished both and glad went that way..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had two Street Glides an ’08 and an ’09 and apparently I don't ride very aggressive either, because after 18,000 miles I have never scraped the floorboards on either one. I did on the Fat Boy I had.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know why the part number for 2009 FLHX shocks is different from the part number for the Low-Profile shocks you can purchase for a 2009 FLHTC? Does it just have to do with the packaging? Wouldn't they be the same?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2022, 11:25 AM
davenay67
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If this has been asked before I apologize, I did a search a read a few topics, but was seeking further info...

I am looking at hopefully purchasing an Electra Glide soon and was thinking of putting the Street Glide rear shocks on in-order to lower the rear end. This would help bring me closer to the ground, plus I prefer the look. My question is if there is any reason that I wouldn't want to do this. I mostly ride solo, but my wife will be joining me when she can. Together we run around 350lbs. I also checked out Progressives 440 shocks in 12.5" (thought I'd split the difference between SG and EG), but the price is pretty high for the 440's.

I know that lower shocks mean less leaning angle, but I'm not a very aggressive rider, plus I figure other HD touring bikes have the shorter shocks. Anyways, just trying to think ahead and don't want to waste any money buying something that will end up harming, instead of helping, the ride.

Thanks,
B.
I know what you mean. I've had my 2013 FLHTK for about 2 months now, and I love the bike but the rear is super harsh over bumps. The air was low when I checked and I since increased to 45 psi, but bumps are still jarring.

The PO put on Street Glide shocks to give the bike a lower look. I may put the original shocks back on and see if that helps at all. Failing that I may have to look aftermarket.

I'm not a big parts guy, preferring more to just get on and ride (maybe a HD wasn't my best choice ), but the rear shocks on the HD are an exception to my rule.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:33 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,358 Likes on 3,995 Posts

Thanks,
B.

If your goal is truly, "don't want to waste any money buying something that will end up harming, instead of helping, the ride." Then pass them by... They will not help the ride quality..

As mentioned by several people, the Street Glide shocks WILL decrease the ride comfort on a standard Electra Glide with its air shocks properly adjusted.....This is because the SG shocks are shorter, with less stroke....

If you want that lowered look, or need it due to a shorter inseam, they might be acceptable, as many don't seem to mind them... but they will give a harsher ride than any other touring bike that hasn't been lowered..

There are many aftermarket shocks that will vastly improve the ride of an Electra Glide's OEM air shocks... some will even be shorter than the 13" OEM size..

Good luck with your decision...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street glide shocks on Electra Glide