Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker DD7

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Baker DD7

I am considering having a Baker DD7 installed in my 08 Ultra Classic during the 2010 Sturgis Rally.

Of those of you who have had one installed, what are the pro's and con's of this conversion? I did a search on the topic, but most comments (opinions) are from those who have not done the conversion.

Did the addition of this transmission affect your cruise control or any other function? I understand that the speedo calibration is set 2 MPH faster than actual to facilitate the use of the cruise control in 5th, 6th and 7th gears.

I understand that the baker transmission is smoother, and the gearing is more user-friendly. Basically, is this a conversion that you would recommend........and why?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dalton installed one behind his 120" monster. Might PM him, but I seem to remember reading a post sometime that he was very happy with it and would do it again.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a question, not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, this is a serious question... I have been trying to figure out when and/or why somone someone would need or want 7 gears? or what the advantages of having them might be? Seems to me the rider would always be shifting up or down.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Those that complain of the gearing on the 08 being too tall might enjoy the DD7. That might help answer as to why someone is opting to do it.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Not a stupid question at all. The DD7 gives us 07 and 08 Touring owners a usable 1st gear and keep the same Direct Drive top gear, hence the name DD7 . So to keep the gaps between the new 1st gear and the 1-1 top gear another gear was added to keep the gaps roughly the same. Yes you can re-gear but then you will change the crusing RPM's as well. Also according to Baker, shift quality is improved as is finding neutral. I had asked Dalton if he would get the DD7 again and he replied that yes he would in the same year(s) of bike and that is with a 120" motor. Gear ratio gaps are much more of an issue with touring bikes than other HD's because of the increased curb weight and the tendency/capability to carry heavier loads than the other bikes in the line. Think of big rig trucks they have a bunch of gears to choose from. Also some of the newer cars have 7 and even 8 gears and the CVT which gives the car that has it an infinite # of ratios to keep the engine happy at any speed. Personally I like the idea but I understand that there are some that would rather not shift more.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I have a question, not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, this is a serious question... I have been trying to figure out when and/or why somone someone would need or want 7 gears? or what the advantages of having them might be? Seems to me the rider would always be shifting up or down.
Its a very sensible question. Some of the car makers are fitting 6 and 7 speed autos, especially to diesels. I suspect to keep them in their sweet spot and reduce emissions.

On a bike I am not so sure. The beauty of a large engine like a Harley, especially if it is tuned for more torque, is the easy way it loafs along in whatever gear it is in. I can still remember the confusion of having five gears and forgetting to select top (still do sometimes)!

The OP asked DD7 users to reply and it will be interesting to see how many pass by.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

With all those gear's, pretty soon you may need a CDL license to ride it!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
kemiha
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Baker's DD7 in my '07 Ultra this past August, and its by far the best mod I've done to the bike PERIOD. I am always running in the "sweet" spot now. Taking off in first gear with a trailer is no longer a problem. The only caveat it that you no longer have the "6th Gear Light" on the dash. I run TTS's MasterTune, so I calibrated the speedometer with my GPS (it does come with a Dakota Digital recalibration unit, which I didn't need).

I would do it again without question!
--
Kevin

Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
doorman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed a baker dd7 and cruise control doesn't work in 7th gear.

help?

thanks,
joey

Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you done the speedo recalibration? The bike should think 7th gear is 6th and the 6th gear light should light up when you go in to 7th. If it doesn't, I'm guessing that the speed/rpm combination is out of whack and that (I've been told) can cause the cruise not to work on '08 and up bikes.

Quick Reply: Baker DD7