Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gps mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
hillbily
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gps mount questions

Ok guys I know there are a lot of GPS questions already posted and I have looked through them and still have a few questions. I know a bunch of you use your nuvi on your harleys but has anyone used the RAM Aqua Box with their Nuvi? If so have you had any problems with it? Also which mount is need for this box to mount it to the handle bars? Last question. Which cable do most of you use the Glisson or Garmin to wire it direct? Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer

I have a Nuvi 760 on a RAM mount, and I have a Glisson cable that connects the battery to the Garmin power cord. Works great, but can't leave it plugged in - drains the battery. RAM is really helpful.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
bfrank
Tourer

When I called Garmin and asked them about using the Nuvi on a motorcycle they said it was not supported. According to them those units are not designed for the vibrations of a motorcycle. They say to get the Zumo and it comes with a handlebar mount that I use and it works great. Plus it's water resistant so you don't have to worry about being caught in a sudden summer shower.

I know some will say yea they are just telling you that so you buy the more expensive one but if they deny a warranty claim then you have an expensive paperweight.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Glide'n09
Tourer

I think I am going to go for this:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/pr...etail/IMID/919

Alot of good things said about this one. Plus, I don't want my GPS hanging off my Apes...

Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a TomTom Rider2 with a Ram mount. The mount is very accommodating and the Rider2 connection and functionality are great.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been using the waterproof nuvi 550 on a ram mount for a year and I don't have any problems with it.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank
When I called Garmin and asked them about using the Nuvi on a motorcycle they said it was not supported. According to them those units are not designed for the vibrations of a motorcycle. They say to get the Zumo and it comes with a handlebar mount that I use and it works great. Plus it's water resistant so you don't have to worry about being caught in a sudden summer shower.

I know some will say yea they are just telling you that so you buy the more expensive one but if they deny a warranty claim then you have an expensive paperweight.
The Nuvi's are all solid state electronics. No reason why they will not stand up to vibration. Are the Zumo's better for a bike, 100% yes but for $250 you can get yourself a great Nuvi. I just bought the 1450 with the 5" screen and a friction mount for my car for $263.00 shipped. That 5" screen will be great for these old eyes on my SG this summer.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 452 Likes on 184 Posts

I purchased a Nuvi 750 from Walmart for $157. Added the 2 year extended service plan (also from Walmart) for $20. This is a discontinued model but it is not a refurbished model.

I haven't used it on the bike yet but I have used it in the car ad it is pretty cool. It has a built in MP3 player so I purchased and 8 gb SDHC card and loaded 1000 songs. I ordered a cable so I can hardwire it to my bike and I plan on getting a Ram Mount.

So for about $200 I have a GPS/MP3 player with a 3 year warranty. According to the Walmart website the service plan covers wear and tear as well as environmental damage.

The technology is changing so fast I'll probably want a new GPS in 3 or 4 years. The Nuvi 750 ot a very good review when it first came out and was $400-$500.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2720 Street Pilot from megagps.com for a 128 bux. Its waterproof, shockproof and made for motorcycle. I used pat of the ram mount, and the rest, I fabed. The one in the pic is a 2610, but have sence upgraded to the 2720. It is refurbished, but you can't tell it by looking.

Attached Thumbnails Gps mount questions-v-and-h-mufflers-054-small-.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

I got the ZUmo 550 because it has XM built in and I love XM on trips. Also it has the weather and traffic from XM. I really like the mount because all wires connect to the mount and the gps unsnaps from the mout very quickly with have to unplug any wires.

Quick Reply: Gps mount questions