Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Frame Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 PM
makstv5
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New touring frame

Lots of people trading in their bikes for the new frame up this way. Most say that it is much much better all around. I for one passed up some good deals on the older frames they seemed mushy as hell after trying the new frame.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a Bagger Brace and save yourself 12 grand.......

Mark

Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

can any one that went from a 07 or 08 that had a stabilizer(true track..ect),better shocks(front and back spicific),ids... voice there opinion going to a 10?

I couldnt believe how much nicer these things made my 07 ride,huge difference just in neutral...

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the bagger brace on my 05 ultra. It did seem to help a little, but even with that the 2010 is by far a better set up.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Chuck Guitar
Advanced

Had a '91(FLHS) till my '09(ULTRA) . I upgraded the suspension on the '91 ( progessive fr & r, heavy springs, and fork oil, w/lots of air) and it handled great. Mtns, curves, I live close to the dragon ( 129). Nobody could outrun me, and I could ride hard and drag the floorboards. But I just can't believe how good my '09 ULTRA feels in the curves and on the straight-a-ways. Feels more stable both ways.
However, only 3'000 mi on the ULTRA compared to 138'000 on the '91. Bought the '09 in Aug '09 , and rode only it till today, and got back out on the '91. The difference is night and day. I have to say that the '09 is far superior in handling to the '91 ( I still love the '91). Have not had the chance to push it as hard but, it is smoother, more stable in curves and more responsive. Great brakes (ABS). Not as responsive throttle, as it is still stock, but I can't go back. The handling is superb, at least IMHO. I have to say I love the EVO , and I love the 80" motor. As a matter of fact, If they offered this bike w/an 80" motor I'd have gone for that option, but they didn't. The heat off the new motor could be a concern ( at least to my wife), but there are ways to address that. I say go for it. You won't be dissapointed. I bought the '91 thinking it would be my last bike, now my thinking is go w/the new technology. I've already used the ABS and it was a thrill, after I came to a safe stop. I may have come to a safe stop on the older bike, but I felt maximum stopping power w/no backend slide, and w/o having to feather the back brake. All I know is I didn't hit the backhoe blocking the road. Go w/your gut feeling, but I have no regrets.....

Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ext1bab
I currently own a 2007 FLHX. I'm just wondering if the newer touring frame makes much of a difference in handling, particularly on freeway riding.
The newer models starting with '09's handle much better in stock form, but you can get rid of some of the disjointed feel in sweepers by installing a stabilizer on your '07. There are quite a few threads here on these stabilizers--which include the Progressive Touring Link, TWR, Ride Str8, etc.--including this one. None of these devices are a panacea, but will remove probably 80-90% of the tail-wagging behavior from older bikes and IMO are worth the money. The Progressive Touring Link is the least-expensive such device that I'm aware of and appears to be fine quality.

I do quite a bit of "spirited" riding and I'm happy with the present state of this bike's handling, and although I don't think it measures up to the newer models in this regard I will be keeping it for the long-term.

Last edited by iclick; 03-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Spartacus55
Cruiser

When the 09 came out with the new frame i was pretty pissed i had purchased an 07 rk new i had waited since 2005 cause i heard the rumor of the engine and tranny upgrade when the 09 came out with the new frame i was on vakay out in sandiego and rented a 09 ultra proceeded up and down the pch and guess what for my riding style the difference was negligible. ps Thank God because at the time i has 7 grand in acc on my 07. also i have the progressive touring link installed

Last edited by Spartacus55; 03-27-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I have a 07 flht with Progressive, fork springs, 416 shocks, stabilizer brace. I have never rode a 09 or 10 model tourer but I would be very surprised if one could get around me through the mountain rangers. I believe the 09 & 10 still have the same forks and triple tree's as the early touring bikes making them prone to a fork flex. Maybe the 2011 bikes will have stronger forks, triple trees, fork brace and damper. With the changers over the last few years anything is possible.
My vote is to hang on to your 07 and wait for the 2011 bikes ?

Last edited by hogbag07; 03-27-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I'm not an aggressive rider as a general rule and my experience with pre-09 models is limited. I did rent an 08 Ultra and put a little over 1,100 miles on it in a week end. I spent a fair amount of that time playing around in the Texas Hill Country west of Austin/San Antonio and thought the bike handled fine. I did have a couple of instances were I felt a little bit of wobble but honestly, it wasn't anything I would have taken notice of were it not for all the comments I had read in this forum on the subject.

Having said that, I do think my 09 Ultra is definitely superior. I've got just over 16k miles on it and have never felt any kind of chassis instability at any time. When I decided I wanted to buy my new Harley, I was set on an 08 Ultra but circumstances and finances conspired to nix that until well after the 09 models were on the market. In hind sight, I'm "very" glad it worked out that way!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:49 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

The new bikes may handle better but they are 75lbs heavier than my '04 RK, and I don't care for the styling changes. If I want to go and stop fast, I get on my BMW K-bike. I may install a 6 speed in my '04 and keep it though I wouldn't criticize anyone for buying a new FL.

Quick Reply: Touring Frame Upgrade