Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer reading reset....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys upgrade gauges ALL THE TIME !! What is the big deal if they want to be honest and set the odometer to the correct mileage ???

Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Guys upgrade gauges ALL THE TIME !! What is the big deal if they want to be honest and set the odometer to the correct mileage ???
It's against the law!!!! Did you not read the posted information about 'tampering with an odometer'. THIS isn't the only resource for information .. There is tons of information on the topic. There are, however, methods of having it done, legally.

GUYS .. who tamper with them ... BRAKE THE LAW. If they get caught or someone gets caught with a motorvehicle in thier possesion that has been tampered with, will ultimately pay the price in one way or another (whether or not they even know about it). It's much the same as being in the possession of stolen property ... Whether you knew about it or not ... Guess what .. It gets confiscated. If they can prove you had something to do with it ... YOU can even be brought up on charges for it.

Those who like to play the "it's not really against the law, unless you get caught' game ... Fill your boots!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

It's against the law to have a dealership certify & calibrate your new set of gauges ??? What's a poor boy to do ???

So , the dealership doesn't do it legally ???

Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob how many miles are on your bike and how many are on the new odot. Is the new one more or is it less? If its more then you need to ride more and then put it in if its less man i don't know.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
1st 96 ultra: I agree it would be in that instance but what is stopping someone who rides a lot, to buy a new bike and 3 years later sell a bike with 5k-8k miles versus 30k-45k, other than the $500 and hopefully there good moral character.
you can buy a new bike or any other vehicle and keep it 20 years and only add 10 mile on it or what ever its just when you sell it with less on it than when you bought it , that is why odometers now register hundreds of thousands of miles , I think I am saying that right , any way like back in say the 60s when you hit 100000 the odometer would start back at 0 because cars or whatever did not last that long normally , now they do

Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
It's against the law!!!! Did you not read the posted information about 'tampering with an odometer'. THIS isn't the only resource for information .. There is tons of information on the topic. There are, however, methods of having it done, legally.

GUYS .. who tamper with them ... BRAKE THE LAW. If they get caught or someone gets caught with a motorvehicle in thier possesion that has been tampered with, will ultimately pay the price in one way or another (whether or not they even know about it). It's much the same as being in the possession of stolen property ... Whether you knew about it or not ... Guess what .. It gets confiscated. If they can prove you had something to do with it ... YOU can even be brought up on charges for it.

Those who like to play the "it's not really against the law, unless you get caught' game ... Fill your boots!
Did you read what you quoted?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Pardner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I'm not telling you that at all. I'm just telling you what I had to do. I was honest, my bike was less then a year old when I got the new speedometer and had 15K on it so I coulda easily cheated. My bikes got 22K on it now. Guess the bigger question might be, whats to keep me from putting another 40K or so on it in the next couple of years and putting the 15K speedometer back in it other then it being illegal and dishonest? So, I guess your statement about the OEM odometer might not work either it seems. I guess at some point you just have to trust people ... I know that's a stretch ;-).

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
So what you are telling me is that we shouldn't buy a bike that doesn't have the OEM odometer since online retailers like Zannoti don't verify the miles that the bike actually has other than by owner stating the number of miles that bike "has"?

Last edited by Pardner; 03-30-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by captjon37
Did you read what you quoted?
Yes, I did read it. It does explain that tampering is fraud.. It further explains that it is easy to to and is almost undetectable considering everything is now done by laptop computers...And these guys are referred to as "artists".

One thing, that I did notice was this:
While regulations vary from province to province, in Alberta the odometer reading must be recorded on the bill of sale, but that information has never been entered into a database and there is no requirement that the seller even be the registered owner. “The current system is like sand through the fingers,” says Scott Wilson, the Alberta Motor Association’s policy development and promotion manager.
I don't think that is true .. at least here in Ontario, it isn't. Mileage is recorded (it does need to be accurately filled out on the safety and they do enter it into the system) .. and you can't register a vehicle without a bill of sale from the previous owner. The bill of sale needs to clearly state the previous owner and the new owner, because that is used in the transfer.

I ran into this myself when we purchased a vehicle for our business, but the bill of sale was in my hubby's personal name .. They wouldn't accept that. We either had to register it in the name as per the bill of sale, or get another one in the proper name. What a pain in the butt THAT was. But, it was our fault for not paying more attention.

Subsquently, after a vehicle is in your name, and when it's time to renew your plate sticker, the renewal form also requires an updated mileage (At this point, they will accept a 'guess' .. but, again they still record it)

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-30-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I was under the impression the actual mileage is recorded in the bikes onboard computer.And the speedo was just a screen to display the mileage. On an analog speedo this wouldn't be the case. Has anyone actually tried putting a different speedo on their bike, and not had the correct mileage?.,,

Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Pardner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, wouldn't a Thundermax be a problem with this ... I understand it "replace's" the ECM ... dunno, just sayin.

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I was under the impression the actual mileage is recorded in the bikes onboard computer.And the speedo was just a screen to display the mileage. On an analog speedo this wouldn't be the case. Has anyone actually tried putting a different speedo on their bike, and not had the correct mileage?.,,

Quick Reply: Odometer reading reset....