Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer reading reset....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bennenrkc
So what you are telling me is that we shouldn't buy a bike that doesn't have the OEM odometer since online retailers like Zannoti don't verify the miles that the bike actually has other than by owner stating the number of miles that bike "has"?
That's exactly what I'm thinking! I had no idea you could do that so easily until a buddy ordered a new speedo from Zannoti and they did the same thing. He could have said any number and they would have set it that way. Really makes you wonder about some of these "low mileage" used bikes....

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Pardner
Cruiser

Ahhh, but you should go back and read my response to this line of thinking

Originally Posted by bradlytle
That's exactly what I'm thinking! I had no idea you could do that so easily until a buddy ordered a new speedo from Zannoti and they did the same thing. He could have said any number and they would have set it that way. Really makes you wonder about some of these "low mileage" used bikes....

Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I was under the impression the actual mileage is recorded in the bikes onboard computer.And the speedo was just a screen to display the mileage. On an analog speedo this wouldn't be the case. Has anyone actually tried putting a different speedo on their bike, and not had the correct mileage?.,,
Doesn't work like that; the mileage is in the odometer. If not, you wouldn't have to have the local dealer certify the mileage when ordering your new gauge upgrade and have H-D imput the mileage at the factory- it would just show up after the first engine start-up. I know that is not the case...

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 03-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
RexBuck
Road Master

Originally Posted by bradlytle
I think all Harley dealerships can run a VIN and give you a service record to verify the mileage. Alternatively, make the seller provide enough documentation to support the low mileage - if they can't, walk.

To bikergirl40 - fraud laws (and many others) don't prevent bad people doing bad things - it just points out that anyone wanting to buy a used bike had better verify mileage, mechanical condition, etc themselves or from an independant source. Once a fraudster has your money, it is unlikely you will see it again when you do figure out you were scamed.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I think all Harley dealerships can run a VIN and give you a service record to verify the mileage. Alternatively, make the seller provide enough documentation to support the low mileage - if they can't, walk.

To bikergirl40 - fraud laws (and many others) don't prevent bad people doing bad things - it just points out that anyone wanting to buy a used bike had better verify mileage, mechanical condition, etc themselves or from an independant source. Once a fraudster has your money, it is unlikely you will see it again when you do figure out you were scamed.
Sadly, that seems to be the case. I have never heard of anyone getting busted for that type of fraud. They obviously don't persue it much. But .. If you are scammed .. I'm sure, if you reported it to the authorities, you might just luck out and find someone who would be willing to take it on. Fraud laws are still laws. If you get busted breaking them, you may be in big trouble.

Sadly, fraud itself (at least as far as the law goes) is not a big deal .. or so it seems. Law makers are constantly busy making laws, changing laws, updating laws .. problem is, the ones who enforce the law just can't keep up.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO.....it's an integrity thing.

I had an '04 Springer Softail.

Ordered a speedo/tach combo from the dealer. I asked that the actual mileage be put on the new odometer prior to delivery.

HD never asked for any kind of proof of actual mileage, they took my word for it.

Do what you do.......nobody can stop you from being a douche bag.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Default And all this came from......

....an innocent question as to if I had to take the speedo out of the bike or leave it in for an odometer reset!! Lots of thoughts on the propriety of installing another unit, but sometimes "ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!" And here in Canada, we ride in KPH, although I certainly can easily get by in MPH. I'm old enough to say that's what I grew up using. And after all that, I think I found out the speedo needs to be sent away, that its not something a dealer can do in-house.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by robfaulkner
And after all that, I think I found out the speedo needs to be sent away, that its not something a dealer can do in-house.
Correct, which is why I stated ..."and have H-D imput the mileage at the factory"... the local dealer can not and will not set-up or change the mileage, only H-D, at the factory, can do it.

I bought silver-faced gauges for my '06 and had to take the bike down to the dealer, who certified the mileage before ordering the new gauges. While some here have said that is illegal, it's only illegal (in California anyway) if it isn't properly disclosed to the next buyer. I'm sure if it was absolutley illegal, you wouldn't be able to order gauges from the Catalog.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
arthur6
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's NOT against the law to change the mileage reading, change the odometer or "turn back" the miles.
Is IS against the law to state it's the "actual mileage" if you know otherwise.
I worked in at several car dealers & used car lots, it happens ALL THE TIME. They'll buy a used, low mileage speedo from a wrecking yard, put in in another car... or the speedometer may just need to be replaced... you fill in the blanks.
There's a place on (almost?) all titles for an odometer reading AND several boxes that say... "miles are actual"... "miles are unknown"... "mileage reading was ?????? at time of repair", etc.
The ECU (computer) does NOT store any mileage.

Last edited by arthur6; 01-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tampering or changing mileage fraudulently would be a crime in every state and provence I would think. But that does not mean that you can't change or correct the milage because you bought a new speedo, say.

I replaced my speedo with a speedo / tach combo on my RK. I bought it from a discounter so correcting the milage was not included. I looked into it and there are a number of companies that will do it including http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm

I opted not to have it done to save $ and just put the new one with zero miles on my bike with 7k miles on it. When I sold it I disclosed the correct milage in writing and had the buyer acknowledge it. In fact, in Minnesota there is a blank on the title to fill in the milage if the odometer is not correct for whatever reason.

The crime is not in reseting a speedo - it is in selling a vehicle, fraudulently with understated milage.

Quick Reply: Odometer reading reset....