Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC switch. need to use it for some thing else

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ACC switch. need to use it for some thing else

I have the acc switch in my switch panel from the factory and it's not used for anything. I was going to wire it to my garage remote but when I found the other end it was connected to a connector (not sure what kind) Heck i could be looking at the wrong connector all together but I was told the switch end comes out under the seat and this is the only thing I could find. Looks to me like it only has one wire and I think it is red. I didnt try to take the connector apart cause I'm not ready to wire the remote. Is this the right wire end? is there really only one wire or are there multiple wire inside that wire insulation?

thanks in advance!

Bradley J.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

My '09 Ultra has an accessory plug under the seat; which can take the standard HD accessory plug. If you want you can purchase the accessory outlet and just use the wire part (put the socket part away for another day)

Attached Thumbnails ACC switch. need to use it for some thing else-connector.jpg   ACC switch. need to use it for some thing else-plug.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
I have the acc switch in my switch panel from the factory and it's not used for anything. I was going to wire it to my garage remote but when I found the other end it was connected to a connector (not sure what kind) Heck i could be looking at the wrong connector all together but I was told the switch end comes out under the seat and this is the only thing I could find. Looks to me like it only has one wire and I think it is red. I didnt try to take the connector apart cause I'm not ready to wire the remote. Is this the right wire end? is there really only one wire or are there multiple wire inside that wire insulation?

thanks in advance!

Bradley J.
You need to keep looking, there are two connections under the seat, one is a one wire connection that you found, this one is always hot. The one you are looking for has four wires going to the connection, 3 red and 1 black, this is the one that is controlled by the acc switch.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks guys!! Only one wire didn't seem right. I'll look again.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay I found it! now does anyone have a part number for the plug?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hooked some lights up to mine, looks cool and easy to turn on.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

For the part numbers check out this pdf file from the harley web site. It has the kit number at the top or you can go to the bottom to get the individual part numbers to make your own plug. Good luck

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J01544.pdf

Last edited by harleyman1340; 04-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Jones
Okay I found it! now does anyone have a part number for the plug?
The plug ("socket housing" in Harley-speak) is HD p/n 72114-94BK. You will also need secondary lock, p/n 72154-94, and socket terminals to go on the wire ends to insert into the plug, p/n 72191-94.

This afternoon I used those parts to wire an LED strip lite on a buddy's tour pak to work as a brake light. Works perfectly.

Carl

PS: Do yourself a favor and buy the HD Service Manual for your bike so you'll have information for assembling and disassembling connectors and the wiring diagrams to identify the circuits.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

Bradley

FYI The four wires consist of a ground wire (black) and with the ACC switch on, with the ignition switch on, one of the red wires is hot, when the ignition is in the acc position one of the red wires is hot and when the ignition switch is on the last red wire is hot when you mash the brake pedal. Use a volt meter to verify which wire is which.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

i looked at my 2008 service manual and it says the ACC plug is just under the fuse box.. there are 2 connectos just beside eachother.. is this correct ?

Quick Reply: ACC switch. need to use it for some thing else