Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with power when hot 2010 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well - mine did it today AND my brandy new HD temp gauge dipstick read 281! I have an '09 headpipe on its way - hopefully that is the fix to all these ills. I'm already running Stage 1 components from Fuelmoto...

Incidently, I stopped for fuel and a beverage - about 15 minutes... and when I got back on, the power was significantly better...

Slightly pissed...

Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

I've got a little over 18K on my completely stock FLHTK. It's about a 60 run home from work on I-75, and inevitably I hit bumper to bumper traffic. I have noticed than with the EITMS kicks in, even it I increase the idle before releasing the clutch, it has a tendency to stumble a little in 1st gear when leaving the line. After that, no problem. I'll be taking it back to the dealership in a couple of weeks for the 20K service, and I'm going to talk to them about it then. I'll post results if they have anything to say about it.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't say I have

I ditched the cat and put a SE Ventilator on it before I brought it home. It hasn't been very warm here all summer. Probably the hottest temps in high 70's so if it ever friggin' warms up I'll be sure to watch for this issue.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 AM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

I have had this problem a couple of times. Will probably have to remove the cat.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 AM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Hey bagger90 - is your bike completely stock?

Trying to take all your inputs and synthesize... if your bike is completely stock that would save me from bypassing the PC-V in mine. I actually hope your bike is stock, as this would indicate something on the MoCo side rather than aftermarket.

Also - it looks like LP is having a similar issue but not sure if he is feeling a loss of poower once he gets the bike off the line. He's got a RG and that would mean the 96" motor is in the same boat - but he's got a PC-V as well.

So - if anyone reading this thread has a loss of power when the bike is hot - loss of power meaning diminished throttle response (not cutting out all together), please post! Please be specific with the model of bike you ride, if it is stock, or what mods are in place.

Thanks.. lets hope this isn't going to be a big mess...

Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Highland61
Novice

Interesting thread.

Last edited by Highland61; 07-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
Also - it looks like LP is having a similar issue but not sure if he is feeling a loss of poower once he gets the bike off the line. He's got a RG and that would mean the 96" motor is in the same boat - but he's got a PC-V as well.
Once the bikes gets moving it runs like normal. Yes, it is a 96". I have the EITMS off too to ensure I have all cylinders firing etc. It's just weird. Only when the bike is at around 230. Maybe a sensor or something... guess I need to take it in.

lp

Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

I have to chime in on this one.
I am still beaking in my 2010 Ultra limited, and for sure the 6th gear has no "power" at all. I haven't heard you guys mention about the this "little" problem.
Is it possible that the 6th gear has given you the "false" feeling that the bike is loosing the power?
Just a thought!

Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Jack - no, this is a whole different thing. This issue comes up when the bike is hot. You can feel it off the line, and then as you run thru the gears. It's clearly diminished power - like LP is saying - almost like a sensor is misprogramming the ECM.

I just finished putting the '09 cat-less headpipe on my bike. I'm going out for putt now - it's broiling out so it will be a good test. I'm really hoping for much lower oil temps without the CAT. I will tell you this, I fired the bike up in the garage real quick and the exhaust is louder - sounds significantly better.... I'll check back in later with a report

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking at this too

I have a 2010 Ultra and the forward end of my right muffler is blue and the golden tinge is about 2/3s of the way back. I asked my dealer and they said it was ok. Maybe noone knew about this yet. I did take it from CLT NC to Pheonix AZ (a little over 2100 miles) in 36 hrs though.

Quick Reply: Problem with power when hot 2010 FLHTK