Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
darrinfish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saddlebag Rubbing

On my street glide my right saddlebag is rubbing against my side cover and messing up the paint on both. I have tried to slide the sadlebag back but the notch on the bottom for the support limits it. Has anyone had this prob and if so how can you fix it.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
geezrglider
Cruiser

How new is it? My 06 Ultra had the same problem, didn"t break it down until 1600 miles for a proper bath. It dug one hell of a grove in the side cover and messed up the bag also. I took it to the stealer who took pic and sent to HD-Hd denied fixing because they pay the Stealer a fancy fee to go over these bikes prior to selling. It got real ugly but the Stealer finally relented and fixed it.

Good luck what ever way it goes.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
darrinfish
Cruiser

Its an 08 but going to the dealer isnt an option. It only got bad in the last couple days. Before there was a mark but not it's really gouging it. I recently had the mounting hardware off so I am sure I didnt line something up right, just cant get any clearence between bag and sidecover, the left is fine.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check that the bracket the quick release goes into isn't bent. You'll have up and down adjustment - not sure about in and out?
Also - is your side panel snapped all the way down on all tangs

Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to loosen the bolts that secure the brackets for the pins (IIRC it's a 7/16" hex head) and, for lack of a better word, "wiggle" the bag rearward a bit to create clearance between the front inside edge of the bag and the side cover. Once you have the clearance, tighten the bolts.

As a previous poster mentioned, that's part of the pre-delivery insptection/set-up the dealer is supposed to perform.

Carl

Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 1,711 Posts

66055-93 is the pn# for the protective film wear pads that go on the side cover behind the bag, should you need a replacement for your side cover.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
darrinfish
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
66055-93 is the pn# for the protective film wear pads that go on the side cover behind the bag, should you need a replacement for your side cover.
Thanks I will do that didnt know you could get them, will also try the other sugestions.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Loosen the mounting hardware and move the bag until you get some clearance, then tighten.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM
darrinfish
Cruiser

Tried all these and still to close. Left side has almost a half inch of clearance but right is still tight. Seems like the side panel is messed up, but I dont think there is anything i can do about the. Gues I will have to get some wear pads and just let it rub.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's really no adjustment possibilities other then the quick release brackets.
Did you remove those? If so, are the front and rear brackets different? Maybe you switched them? If all else fails, get a heavy fender washer or two at the hardware store and sandwich it/them between both brackets and adjoining parts (I think the fender rail?).
One other thing. When my bike was new I noticed the fender wasn't centered with the wheel (looking from rear). So I took the bags off and gave her a good tug on the lower bag support. Straightened her right up. It's been fine for the last 3 years.
If it is off, it could be cattiwampus enough to be forcing the bag into the side cover?
Just a thought.....

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Rubbing