Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Cover Gasket Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Primary Cover Gasket Help!!!

1990 FLHTCU. I am replacing the primary gasket because its leaking a little. The one that was on the bike was a James gasket. It was black with an orange silicone bead. It sayed JGS on it. I bought a factory stock gray HD gasket to replace it. I need to know if I am supposed to use a gasket sealer with the factory gasket. My service manual doesn't say anything about it. It just says reinstall primary cover. If I do need gasket sealer, what should I get?? RTV gray? Black? Should I coat the primary and the cover?
A quick answer is appreciated because I am going out on a ride tomorrow morning.

Thanks!! JG

Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds the same as the one I use on my '06. Orange bead on the inside?

No sealant needed (if they are the same?).

Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sealant necessary with the HD gasket, which has no red silicone bead. Just be sure to torque according to the manual.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched the mechanic put one on mine friday and he didn't put anything on it. As was said, just torque as it should be and you will be fine. Oh, he also mentioned NOT to use the putty stuff on the drain plugs since they have nice o rings (at least the newer models).

Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
1990 FLHTCU. I am replacing the primary gasket because its leaking a little. The one that was on the bike was a James gasket. It was black with an orange silicone bead. It sayed JGS on it. I bought a factory stock gray HD gasket to replace it. I need to know if I am supposed to use a gasket sealer with the factory gasket. My service manual doesn't say anything about it. It just says reinstall primary cover. If I do need gasket sealer, what should I get?? RTV gray? Black? Should I coat the primary and the cover?
A quick answer is appreciated because I am going out on a ride tomorrow morning.

Thanks!! JG
So how's that 4" black chop windshield I sent you working out ? When do you plan on returning it ?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Installed the factory HD gray primary cover gasket dry. Made sure the mating surfaces were perfect. I torqued the bolts down to 8 ft lbs and took her for a few 1 hour rides. Not a single drip or damp spot. Dry as a bone. Thanks guys.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by rizzo
So how's that 4" black chop windshield I sent you working out ? When do you plan on returning it ?

My misunderstanding!! When you told me it was scratched by one of your kids I thought you didn't wan't me to send it back. My apology!! I'll get it back in the mail to you Monday or Tuesday the latest. I didn't even install it although I did use it as a template when I ordered a smoke one. The black wouldn't have worked out because I wouldn't be able to judge the front of the bike. I went with a dark smoke version. Thanks so much for sending it and again.. sorry for the miscommunication. John G