Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Overflow Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
MexiRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Overflow Question

Ok folks,
I have an '07 RoadKing. After riding and needing to refuel, gas will leak from the gas cap. I don't overfill. I've read on this forum that the overflow tube is supposed to prevent this. I've also heard (not in this forum) that the overflow tube can get clogged and cause this symptom. So, I looked in my service manual and disassembled the dash to gain access to the entire tube route. I found that all the tubing was completely clear of any obstruction. The check valve, near the battery was functioning correctly. Blow air down and it goes through. Try to pull air back and it doesn't go.
Now, near the tank, there is what looks like a filter. Here's my question for you folks. Is this a one way filter? If so, which direction should it flow? When I removed it, the flow was toward the tank. If it's an overflow vent, shouldn't it flow AWAY from the tank?
I've looked in my manual and there is no mention of this "filter"

Thanks

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM
MexiRider
Intermediate

Bump.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 461 Posts

Once, after refueling, I loosened my cap to check something and got the same thing you describe. How tight are you twisting the cap? Re the filter, just a guess. Air must go into the tank as the fuel level goes down, perhaps this is an air filter to keep the tank from "inhaling" dust, and it won't let fumes out. I don't seem to have either of those gadgets on the vent tube of my 08 Road King, any chance you have a California spec machine?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM
MexiRider
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. When I tighten the cap after refueling, I tighten it 3 clicks. It's not a California spec bike. I'll replace the filter just to see if that fixes the problem. I'm also considering getting a new cap or maybe just the gasket for the cap.