Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Iclick,

Have you changed your IAC stepper motor? We've changed a bunch of them when the 96's came out (07's)
No, I haven't changed anything. Is this 27658-06? I believe this is what my HD tech changed on his bike that fixed it for him, but I'm not sure what problems he was having. Given my sporadic high-idle problems, does this sound like an ailing IAC motor?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Iclick, did you cycle the IAC on and off when you aprayed the cleaner in it? If not, try it again.
I sprayed carb cleaner followed by some penetrant/lubricant spray while the bike was running, but I haven't done that since about September. It was not idling fast at the time and I shut it down immediately after spraying it. When you say to "cycle the IAC on and off" what is the procedure for that, just cycle the ignition switch on and off repeatedly while spraying?

Last edited by iclick; 06-14-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
sofadog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine shut off due to low idle on several occasions when coming to a stop. I just thought I got some bad gas. Has not done it in awhile now.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I sprayed carb cleaner followed by some penetrant/lubricant spray while the bike was running, but I haven't done that since about September. It was not idling fast at the time and I shut it down immediately after spraying it. When you say to "cycle the IAC on and off" what is the procedure for that, just cycle the ignition switch on and off repeatedly while spraying?
Leave the motor off, turn on ignition, turn run stop switch on and off. Easier to reach it than the other way. You can put your finger over the IAC and feel it move. Mine wasn't real dirty but it was dirty.

Last edited by nvsteve; 06-15-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Leave them motor off, turn on ignition, turn run stop switch on and off. Easier to reach it than the other way. You can put your finger over the IAC and feel it move. Mine wasn't real dirty but it was dirty.
I'll give that a try and see how it works.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

my 07 has the low idle problem ,i just go t back from a ride and it was doing it, every once in awile the past year or so, never stalled though ( yet )

Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
No, I haven't changed anything. Is this 27658-06? I believe this is what my HD tech changed on his bike that fixed it for him, but I'm not sure what problems he was having. Given my sporadic high-idle problems, does this sound like an ailing IAC motor?
Yeah, it's the IAC kit for $44 or referred to as the stepper motor. If your other remedies don't fix it, it can't hurt to change it out.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has a low idle problem too. Not all the time though, just pulling up to a stop sometimes.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Joker659
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've experienced both the high and low idles at one time or the other. Most often its the low. It's just a sporadic problem, but irritating. I've tried cycling the ignition to get base to the base idle on the ecm, but the problem always returns eventually. Most often occurs when the bike is hot or has been run hard. My ride is bone stock except for V&H slipons. Bought her used and I've put about 13,500 on her in the last year. She's always done this. I've just taken to feathering the throttle when coming to a stop. Most recently it's been missing some when she's cold.
07' Roadie/black pearl.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker659
I've experienced both the high and low idles at one time or the other. Most often its the low. It's just a sporadic problem, but irritating. I've tried cycling the ignition to get base to the base idle on the ecm, but the problem always returns eventually. Most often occurs when the bike is hot or has been run hard. My ride is bone stock except for V&H slipons. Bought her used and I've put about 13,500 on her in the last year. She's always done this. I've just taken to feathering the throttle when coming to a stop. Most recently it's been missing some when she's cold.
07' Roadie/black pearl.
Try cleaning the IAC as noted above.

Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues